This beautiful cake recipe was put together by Maxine Schuiling from Sugar Free Sundays, to celebrate our 12th birthday anniversary. But who really needs an excuse to eat cake?
Makes a medium sized double layer cake
- 1 Tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
- 100g Almond butter
- 400ml Coconut milk (can substitute any milk)
- 8 tbsp Rosewater
- 1½ Cup lemon juice
- ¼ Cup coconut oil (liquid)
- 4 Large eggs
- Sweetener drops (optional)
- 80g Coconut flour
- 200g Gluten free self-raising flour
- 100g Almond flour
- 80g Whey protein powder (can substitute more flour)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 120g Erythritol (can substitute coconut sugar or xylitol)
- ½ tsp salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 Can whipping coconut cream
- ½ Cup powdered xylitol (can sub icing sugar of choice)
- ¼ Cup lemon juice
- 40g Vanilla pea protein
- 2 Tbsp Rosewater
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas and pour into a blender. Add the almond butter, coconut milk, lemon juice, eggs and rose water and blend.
- Add the remaining ingredients (dry) into a mixing bowl and mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients into dry and mix until combined. Do not over mix!
- Grease two cake tins and divide the mixture between the two. Bake for 30-35 minutes (a knife should come out clean), but don’t overbake!
For the frosting:
A simple cream cheese frosting would be amazing on this, but if you’d like a dairy-free option then this coconut whipping cream is great. Leave your cream in the fridge overnight so that it is cold when you use it.
- Add the coconut whipping cream to a bowl and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Beating slowly, add the remaining ingredients.
- Adjust to taste. Store in the fridge.