This recipe was created by Angelique Booyens, the founder of The Good Roots.
- 4 tsps raw cocoa powder
- 2 tsps coconut blossom sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon (Ceylon if possible)
- 1 tsp destarched maca root powder *
- 2 cups plant-based milk of choice
- 1 cup hot water
- 2-4 blocks sugar-free 80% Afrikoa dark chocolate (optional, extra richness)
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a cup.
- Froth the milk by either heating it up slowly on a stove top until frothy and adding in hot cacao mix. Stir and press spoon to sides to help dissolve any remaining clumps
- Pour into cup and sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon, cacao powder or chocolate shavings.
- Mix dry ingredients into separate cups by dividing everything into two. Add in hot water and stir. Use the back of the spoon to dissolve any remaining clumps by pressing it to the side of the cup.
- Heat up the milk in the microwave for 30 sec and froth using an electric handheld frother.
- Pour frothed milk into the cups and sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon, cacao powder or chocolate shavings.
If you’re a fan of this hot cocoa recipe, you’ll probably also enjoy these: