12 Oct Gluten-Free Chai Spiced Cupcakes & Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
From our 12th birthday celebration @TheHonestGrazer whipped up these incredible morsels of joy and tastiness.
- 2 cups gluten-free cake flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour (or you can just use more gluten-free flour)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 rooibos chai tea bags
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 500g raw cashews soaked in filtered overnight
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (chilled in the fridge overnight)
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil (solid)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract or 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 4 tbsp rice malt syrup or maple syrup or fine fructose sugar
- 3 stevia drops (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC and line a cupcake baking tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together. For the tea bags, empty the contents and mill into a fine powder using a milling blade. If you don’t have one, simply crush the dry tea in a pestle and mortar until fine. Mix the wet ingredients together, and add them to the dry ingredients. Stir well, until you get a smooth cupcake batter. Be careful not to overmix the batter.
- Transfer the batter into the cupcake cases, so that you fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 full – do not make them too full. Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes or until the tops look golden and an inserted knife comes out clean. If in doubt – take them out.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Soak cashews in very hot water for 1 hour or in cool water overnight.
- Drain thoroughly and add to a blender with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until creamy and smooth, it takes a while, so be patient, you want it to be super smooth.
- Taste often and add more lemon juice, salt, sweetener or vanilla as needed.
- Set in the freezer for 10 minutes and then mix again before frosting the cupcakes.
- Top with coconut sugar, some flowers and gold dust if you are feeling extra fancy.