01 Nov Why a Natural Sunscreen is Important for You
1. CHEMICAL SUNSCREENS CONTAIN SOME NASTY INGREDIENTS
You don’t have to destroy your skin with chemicals to avoid getting sunburnt. These are some of the main culprits to avoid using:
- Octinoxate (Octyl Methoxycinnamate) – has estrogenic (gender bending) effects
- Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3) – Associated with photo allergic reactions and hormone disrupting activities. Absorbs quickly through the skin.
- Avobenzone (Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane) – sunlight breaks this down into harmful ingredients
- Octocrylene – Produces free radicals when exposed to sunlight, damaging DNA and potentially causing cancer
- Homosalate – Hormone disruptor; forms toxic metabolites; can enhance penetration of some toxic herbicides
- Padimate O (Octyl Dimethyl Paba / Paba Ester) – a derivative of once popular PABA sunscreen, this releases free radicals, damaging DNA, has estrogenic activity and causes allergic reactions. When exposed to sunlight causes genetic mutation.
- Ensulizole (Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonic Acid) – Produces free radicals when exposed to sunlight, damaging DNA and potentially causing cancer.
- Mexoryl SX – This UVA absorbing sunscreen agent degrades as much as 40% when exposed to sunlight, as well as producing damaging reactive oxygen species.
- Octyl Salicyclate – penetration enhancer that alters skin structure, allowing other chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin, increasing the amounts of other chemicals that reach the bloodstream
- Benzophenone (Sulisobenzone) – Can cause skin and eye irritation. Does not penetrate the skin to a large degree, but enhances the ability of other chemicals to penetrate.
So what can you use?
Zinc Oxide is a mineral sunscreen, also called a physical or natural sunscreen. It provides excellent protection from both UVA and UVB rays.
2. ORGANIC SUNSCREEN DOESN’T CONTAIN TOXIC COSMETIC INGREDIENTS
A healthy lifestyle is vital to combat the many things toxic that plague our lives in obvious as well as hidden ways as a result of modern industry. By focusing on choosing organic ingredients in your cosmetics you can avoid some of the toxic chemical ingredients used in sunscreens such as:
- Sodium Laurel, Lauryl Sulfate, or Sodium Laurel Sulfate – Combined with other chemicals these become Nitrosamine, which is a powerful cancer-causing agent, that penetrates the skin’s moisture barrier, allowing chemicals in.
- Polyethylene Glycol, Polysorbates, or Ethoxyylate alcohol – all contain dioxane, which is carcinogenic and probably one of the most potent toxins known to man.
- Propylene Glycol – can cause dermatitis, kidney or liver abnormalities, skin growth prevention, or just plain irritation.
- Phenol Carbolic Acid – Can cause circulatory collapse, paralysis, convulsions, coma, and even death from respiratory failure.
- Acrylamide – Can cause breast cancer
- Toluene (Benzoic; Benzyl or Butylated Hydroxtoluene) – can cause anemia, low blood cell count, liver and kidney damage and birth defects.
3. NATURAL AND ORGANIC PRESERVATIVES ARE NOT DANGEROUS
The more commonly used parabens, found in almost all non-organic products, are endocrine disruptors mimicking estrogen, upsetting the hormone balance, and potentially causing reproductive cancers in both men and women.
4. ORGANIC SUNSCREEN DOESN’T CONTAIN MINERAL OILS
No mineral oils, paraffin or petroleum-based ingredients are used that coat the skin like plastic and leave the pores clogged, trapping in toxins, slowing skin cell growth, disrupting normal hormone functioning, robbing bones and the nervous system of magnesium. Being petrochemicals they can have estrogenic effects. They also absorb the oil soluble vitamins A,D, E and K from the body which are then excreted, thereby depleting the body of vital ingredients.
5. ORGANIC SUNSCREEN DOESN’T CONTAIN COLOURANTS
Accepting a natural rather than a false colour helps to avoid use of toxic colourants.
6. NO SYNTHETIC FRAGRANCE IS ADDED TO ORGANIC SUNSCREEN
Quite often the fragrance from the natural organic ingredients will provide a delightful smell, so no added fragrance is required.
7. WATER RESISTANT INGREDIENTS IN SYNTHETIC SUNSCREENS CAN BE DETRIMENTAL
Unnatural polymers are harmful in that they prevent the skin from breathing. Water resistance in organic sunscreens without these will allow the skin to breathe.
8. ANTI-OXIDANT ACTIVITIES OF ORGANIC PLANT EXTRACTS ARE GOOD FOR YOU
Positively good for you, these ingredients are not just eliminating the negative qualities of chemicals, but they provide excellent added benefits in such things as cell repair and skin healing, providing added protection against free radical damage and atmospheric toxins.
9. NO FILLERS ARE REQUIRED IN ORGANIC SUNSCREEN
Every ingredient will have a purpose aimed at benefiting you, rather than being included to counteract the negative chemical reactions.
10. ORGANIC SUNSCREEN HELPS TO REVERSE SUN DAMAGE
By switching from a toxic sunscreen to a non-toxic sunscreen, you can possibly reverse some of the damage already done as the natural plant extracts contain properties that help to heal the DNA damage in your skin.
You can find our complete natural and organic suncare range here.