This easy homemade bagel recipe proves that you can make deliciously chewy bagels in your own kitchen with only a few basic ingredients!
- Hot water
- 1 Tbsp. white sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 180 . Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients and whisk. Add hot water to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Divide the dough into 4-6 equal pieces. In between well-floured and cupped palms, shape each piece of dough into a thick round and place on the prepared baking sheet. Poke a floured forefinger into the center of each piece of dough and wiggle around to create a hole.
- Place the baking tray in the refrigerator for only 5 minutes. In the meantime bring a medium pot filled with water to a slight boil.
- Place the shaped bagels in the boiling water bath (no more than two at a time to prevent crowding and sticking) and boil for about 1 minute per side. Try to prevent the dough from sticking to the bottom of the pot by swirling the water around. The bagel will float once it’s been boiling for about a minute. Using a strainer, remove the bagel from the boiling water and return to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Brush the bagels with vegan butter or egg yolk and sprinkle with seeds before baking for another 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down at least slightly before slicing and serving.
- Freeze any leftovers by first slicing each bagel then placing in a freezer-safe bag, eliminating as much air as possible and sealing tightly. Defrost at room temperature. They freeze amazingly well.
*When taking out of the fridge the bagels will be harder and is best enjoyed warmed up a little before serving. Slice one in half and toast it for a crispier bagel.