Gluten-free, paleo and easily adjusted to vegan
For a softer (not-so-crispy-base) you can use only ½ cup almond flour, ½ cup coconut flour instead of 1 cup just almond flour.
- To make the base vegan you can substitute the egg with one flax egg & 6 Tbsp water, although you won’t get the same result in terms of crispiness.
- The base can be stored in the fridge for 2 – 3 days or frozen for 1 month. If you want to use a frozen base, first defrost in the oven for 10 minutes and then add all the ingredients before grilling.
- 2 cups sweet potato from roasted sweet potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
- Caramelised onions (1 sliced onion pan fried with coconut sugar and water)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Tomato puree
- Nutritional yeast
- Tahini & lemon juice dressing (tahini mixed with juice of 1 lemon and water)
- Roast sweet potatoes at 200° Celsius for 1 hour, until they are very soft.
- Once they have cooled, scoop out the flesh, and measure out 2 cups of sweet potato puree.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sweet potatoes, and use a hand mixer to whip the sweet potatoes until they are smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and use the hand-mixer again to mix well.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Scoop “dough” in heaping ½ cups.
- Wet your fingers, and lightly press down on the top of each mound.
- Cover 1 mound of dough with another piece of parchment, and then use a flat-bottomed smooth plate to press down until the sweet potato is about 2cm in diameter. Finally, use the back of a spoon to form heart shapes. I like to use wet fingers to gently mold the edges of the crust. Or you can scoop all the dough into a piping bag and pipe heart-shaped pizza bases and smooth out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake the base for 30 minutes.
- Top the base with sauce, or other toppings, as desired.
- Return topped pizzas to the oven for 12 – 20 minutes (depending on how many toppings are added). A basic cheese pizza will bake in 12 minutes, but a pizza loaded with tons of veggies will take 20.