10 Dec Gluten Free Fruit Mince Pies Recipe
A healthier twist on a Christmas classic! Mince pies are a much-loved Christmas treat, and this gluten-free, fruit-packed recipe is a great alternative to those made with ordinary wheat flour based pastry. Faithful to Nature’s gluten-free flour range has everything you need to make the pie cases, while our organic spices and dried fruits are ideal for the festive filling.
Delicious Gluten Free Fruit Mince Pies Recipe
For the pastry:
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- Pinch of sea salt
- 56g butter or vegan-friendly butter substitute
- 4Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2Tbsp cold filtered water
- 1tsp lemon zest, finely chopped
For the filling (makes 2 cups):
- ½ cup grated apple, peeled & grated
- 2Tbsp orange zest
- 1tsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup dried apricots
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- ¼tsp nutmeg
- ¼tsp allspice
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 2Tbsp grade B maple syrup
- Sift the flours, xanthan gum & salt into a mixing bowl & combine.
- Cream the butter, sugar & vanilla in a blender until smooth & well combined.
- Gradually add in the flour mix & lemon zest until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the water slowly, 1 tablespoon at a time – just enough to create a soft flexible dough.
- Knead the dough with a dusting of rice flour, until it’s workable and pliable.
- Roll the dough into a ball; wrap it in cling-wrap & chill in the fridge for about 30 min.
- While the dough chills, place all the filling ingredients in your food processor & blend until smooth.
- Adjust the spices & sweetener to taste, then leave the filling to sit while you bake your pastry.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a mini muffin tin & line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out the chilled dough between 2 pieces of baking paper.
- Cut out the bottom halves of your pies with a round cookie cutter, & place them in a muffin pan.
- Cut out the top halves with a small star-shaped cookie cutter; place them on a lined baking tray.
- Bake the pastry cases in the oven until golden-brown. (Approx. 10 min for bottom cases, 5 min for the pastry stars.)
- Fill each case with the fruit filling; top each one with a pastry star.
- Bake the pies for another 5 minutes, then cool slightly before serving.
- Enjoy hot or cold, plain or with a dusting of icing sugar. Merry Christmas!