Nutmeg Health Benefits
- Medically, nutmeg has strong antibacterial properties. It is effective in killing a number of cavity-causing bacteria in the mouth.
- Like cloves, nutmeg contains eugenol, a compound that may benefit the heart.
- Myristicin found in nutmeg has been shown to inhibit an enzyme in the brain that contributes to Alzheimer’s disease and is used to improve memory.
- It is used in small dosages to reduce flatulence [excessive stomach or intestinal gas], aid digestion and improve appetite.
- In Arab countries, nutmeg is valued as an aphrodisiac.
- Nutmeg can help to combat asthma.
- It is also used to relax muscles.
- Nutmeg contains 10 per cent essential oil which is a colourless or light yellow liquid. The oil is obtained by the steam distillation of ground nutmeg. Besides being used in toothpastes, cough syrups, perfumes and cosmetic industry, externally nutmeg oil is mixed with almond oil and is used to relieve rheumatic pain.
- Nutmeg oil is used to treat toothaches. Drops of essential oil are put on cotton swab and applied to the gums around an aching tooth, sometimes also used to control bad breath.
- Drops of nutmeg oil can also be mixed with honey to treat nausea, gastroenteritis, chronic diarrhoea and indigestion.
- In homoeopathy, nutmeg is used to treat anxiety and depression.
- In Chinese medicine, it is used to treat impotence and liver disease.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.