Serves: 6 waffles
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 ¾ cup gluten free flour blend or regular all-purpose flour (1 cup buckwheat flour, ½ cup tapioca flour, ¼ cup brown rice flour)
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp rose water
- 1 tsp cardamom
- Coconut whipping cream
- Chopped strawberries
- Chopped pistachio
- Preheat the waffle iron and brush with a thin layer of coconut oil or non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk all the dry ingredients together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar together and allow the milk to separate slightly. Then mix in the syrup of your choice.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until fully combined. Lastly mix in the rose water and cardamom or whichever alternative you prefer (cinnamon, fruit, nut butter etc.).
- Pour about 1/3 cup or more of the batter in the center of the waffle iron and cook until the waffles are golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately or lay on a cooling rack until cool. Store in a container or Stasher bag in freezer.*
Alternative additions: 2 tsps cinnamon & 2 chopped stewed apples or ½ cup chopped strawberries/raspberries or 2 tbsps peanut butter & 1 chopped banana.
Keeping Waffles Warm: If you’re not going to enjoy your waffle straight out of the griddle, is to place them on a cooling rack in an even layer. Turn your oven to the “warm” setting or about 100℃. and place the fresh waffles in an even layer in the oven until ready to enjoy. Unlike pancakes, where you can toss them all on top of each other to keep them warm, waffles have a crispy outer coating that is highly desirable. If you stack them while they’re hot, they are going to create steam and quickly lose that crispiness.
Can You Freeze Waffles? YES! These waffles are great for storing in the freezer and popping straight into the toaster oven. Place the cooled waffles in a container or stasher bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Toast in toaster to defrost and toast the waffle or use the oven on grill setting.