31 Oct Coconut Cream & Fresh Fruit Crêpe Cake
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
BUCKWHEAT CREPES (24 – 28 small crepes)
BERRY, PEACH AND ORANGE FILLING
- 2 cups berries, washed
- 4 peaches, washed and sliced (or any stone fruit )
- 1 Tbsp tapioca flour (or cornstarch)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 500ml coconut whipping cream
- ¼ cup xylitol, ground fine (or rice malt syrup)
- Fresh strawberries
- Orange slices
- Peach slices
- Mint leaves
- Xylitol “icing sugar” (blend to ground fine)
METHOD: BUCKWHEAT CREPES
- Combine the eggs, almond milk, vanilla essence and melted coconut oil. Slowly sieve in the buckwheat flour while mixing to avoid clumps from forming. You know the mixture is the perfect consistency when you can dip a spoon in and, once removed, the batter forms a very thin layer on the back of the spoon.
- Line a small non-stick pan with a little bit of coconut oil and place over a high heat (scale of 1 – 10 that would be 8). Test the pan by scooping a tablespoon full of batter on the pan surface; you know the pan is the right temperature when the batter immediately sticks to the pan once it hits the surface.
- Use a ⅓-size measuring cup to scoop and swirl the batter to form a round, thin crêpe. Flip over once the edges and surface dry out.
- Once each crêpe is cooked flip it onto a plate and cover with a pot lid or cake cover to prevent them from drying out.
- Once you are done making all the crêpe and they have completely cooled down. Keep it in the fridge with the lid on until you are ready to fill each layer and serve.
METHOD: BERRY, PEACH AND ORANGE FILLING
- Heat a saucepan over a medium heat and add strawberries, peach slices and orange zest with about 2 tablespoons of water to get things going. Slowly simmer the fruit until soft enough to mash using a fork, will take about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Mix in the tapioca flour and simmer for another 2 – 3 minutes then take the saucepan off the stovetop and let it cool down. Will thicken more as cools down.
- You can use the chunky compote or you can give it a quick blitz in the blender for a smoother consistency.
METHOD: CREAM FILLING
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form and then fold in the xylitol icing sugar or rice malt syrup.
- Place the first crêpe on a piece of parchment paper on the plate or cake stand you’re serving the cake on. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the berry filling and use the back of a spoon to spread evenly. Add another crepe and do the same with the cream filling. Alternate between the cream and berry filling on each layer.
- For the topping, put a dollop of cream filling and top with slices of orange, peach, fresh strawberries and mint leaves.
- Keep in the fridge until it’s time to serve. Best enjoyed immediately or within 24 hours of making the crêpes.
- Using a smaller pan will result in more crêpes and therefore a higher crepe cake.
- If you’re a crêpe professional – use two pans of the same size to speed things up.
- Place 3 – 4 wooden skewers in the finished crêpe cake for more stability.