17 Jun Alkaline Diet Essentials: Recipes & Shopping List
If you’re thinking of trying the Alkaline Diet, you might find yourself feeling intimidated by all the rules involved. So to help you get started, we’ve put together a must-have Alkaline Diet shopping list – plus a choice of delicious and wholesome recipes to make alkaline eating a pleasure.
1. Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ¼tsp allspice
- ½cup raisins
- 1 apple, chopped (save some for garnish)
- Stevia or agave to taste
- ½cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 4tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- 1cup fresh organic blueberries
- (Optional: Fresh raspberries, strawberries, pecans, hemp seeds)
- Add quinoa, almond milk, cinnamon, allspice & raisins in saucepan; bring to the boil, then cover with a lid & reduce to low heat.
- Simmer for 5min, then stir in chopped apple. Simmer for approx. 5-7min longer.
- Stir until most of the remaining liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat & allow the mixture to rest for 5min in the covered saucepan.
- Add stevia or agave to taste.
- Top with walnuts, sunflower seeds, blueberries & remaining chopped apple. Add extras like raspberries & strawberries. Enjoy!
2. Power-Packed Coconut Smoothie
- ½cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ¼cup coconut water
- 1cup frozen blueberries
- 2/3cup frozen raspberries
- 1 avocado
- 2tbsp agave syrup OR 2tsp stevia
- 3tbsp fresh coconut meat (optional)
- 1tsp vanilla extract or vanilla powder
- 1tsp green superfood powder
- 2tbsp omega oil
- 3-4tbsp raw hemp seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend well, adding additional coconut water if needed.
- The avocado makes the mixture smooth and creamy – no dairy needed!
1. Butternut Squash Hummus
- 700g butternut squash
- 2tsp avocado oil
- ½tsp ground cumin
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- 120g chickpeas, cooked
- 1½tbsp tahini paste
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 2tsp sumac (or lemongrass)
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C.
- Chop the butternut in half & remove the seeds. Place on a baking tray; drizzle with avocado oil. Bake for 40-50min until soft.
- Carefully remove the skin from the baked butternut. Blend in a food processor, combined with 1tsp sumac & all remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with the remaining sumac & some finely chopped coriander.
2. Green Gazpacho
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor & blend until completely smooth.
- Chill before serving, or blend in 3-4 ice cubes & serve immediately.
Mushroom & Goat’s Cheese Pancakes with Kale & Cashew Pesto
For the pancakes:
For the pesto:
- 50g kale
- 1 small clove garlic
- 45g raw cashew nuts
- 14g basil
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- 10g parsley
- ¼cup water
- ¼cup olive oil
For the filling:
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½tsp sunflower oil
- 3 large Portobello mushrooms
- 130g cherry tomatoes
- 200g spinach
- Pinch salt & fresh black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon
- Put the flour into a bowl & make a well in the centre; whisk the egg in a separate bowl, then drop it into the well in the flour.
- Whisk the mixture together, slowly adding the almond milk.
- You should now have quite a runny mixture. Leave to rest for 20min.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Add a little more lemon juice to taste. Set aside.
- Sauté the sliced onion & garlic with some coconut oil on a medium heat for 4-5min until the onions are soft.
- Slice the mushrooms lengthways; toss with the onions & tomatoes for 2-3 minutes until soft & juicy.
- When the mushrooms are almost done, stir through the spinach until wilted. Remove from the heat while you prepare your pancakes.
Pancakes: Melt ¼tsp coconut oil in a pancake pan on a medium heat. When the pan is hot, cook each pancake until golden-brown on both sides. To serve, spread a tablespoon of the pesto over each pancake, pile on the mushroom mixture & crumble over the goat’s cheese. Roll up the pancake & serve hot with a side of green salad.
Your Essential Alkaline Diet Shopping List:
- Chia seeds
- Brown rice
- Sprouting seeds
- Miso soup
- Coconut water
- Raw almonds
- Sunflower seeds
- Macadamia nuts
- Buckwheat & sweet potato noodles
- Green smoothie mix
- Coconut oil
- Desiccated coconut
- Coconut flakes
- A Vogel Multiforce Alkaline Powder
- Hemp seed protein powder
- Flax meal
- Raw cacao
- Himalayan salt
- Almond nut milk bag
- Flax crackers
- Mustard seeds
- Agave sugar
- Spirulina powder
- Omega oils
- Maca powder
- Wheatgrass powder
- Vegetable stock