17 Oct Three Grain Rice Paper Rolls with Miso and Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce
This recipe is courtesy of Anina’s Recipes.
These refreshing three-grain rice paper rolls with miso and peanut butter dipping sauce and kale soil are the epitome of summer dining. It is the perfect dish to put together when you need to get hungry tummies filled, a proper family sharing feast, is what this recipe is all about. I might just end up next to the pool all day when I have a platter of these fresh and healthy bites close by.
I decided to do a three-grain filling made with quinoa, barley bran and wild Canadian rice.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 50 min | Makes: 12 half rice paper rolls
For the grains:
- 6 cups warm water
- 6 tsp Health Connection Vegetable Stock Powder
- 1 cup Health Connection Organic Quinoa,
- 1 cup Nature’s Choice Barley Bran and
- 1 cup Earth Products Organic Wild Canadian Rice.
- 1 cup By Nature Dried Cranberries, chopped fine
- 1 cup warm water to soak Cranberries
For the flavouring:
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp lemongrass
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
For the dipping sauce:
- 3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tbsp Japanese sweet white miso
- ¾ cups water
- 6 individual, organic rice paper wrappers (from your local Asian supermarket)
- 6 individual organic spinach leaves
- 3 organic carrots, finely sliced
- Onion sprouts
- 2 cups raw kale chips (I used the Sunshine Chips in Cheezy Herb flavour)
- First off, in a mixing bowl combine warm water with vegetable stock powder and allow to dissolve.
- In a medium-sized pot combine the quinoa and barley bran and cover with 4 cups of dissolved stock water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and leave to simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Leave to cool.
- For the wild Canadian rice, give it a good rinse and cover with leftover stock water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the rice splits open. Leave to cool.
- Cover the chopped cranberries with water and leave to soak until ready to use.
- In the meantime, combine the spices and dry roast it in a non-stick pan until the aromas fill the kitchen, add the coconut oil and onion and fry until translucent.
- Now you can add the prepared grains to the sauteed spices and onion. Give it a good mix through and add the soaked cranberries. Mix and set aside.
- Combine the crunchy peanut butter with Japanese sweet white miso and water, until combined. Set aside.
- For assembly carefully remove the rice paper wrappers from the packaging and soften in lukewarm water for about 10 seconds until see through.
- Place on a clean surface, then lay a spinach leaf in the middle of each wrapper, top with a few spoonfuls of grains, sliced carrot and onion sprouts.
- Fold both sides of the wrapper, then fold the front part over the filling and roll up. The wrappers will close up nicely when they are wet – so use some extra water to dab the edges. Slice in half and place on platter.
- Serve these three-grain rice paper rolls with peanut butter and miso dipping sauce and sprinkle with fine kale to serve. Leftover grains can be stored in the freezer and leftover rice paper wrappers can be stored in an airtight container.
If you enjoyed this recipe, take a look at the these other healthful Vegan delights: