18 May Vegan Apple Crumble Pie
Recipe done by Angelique from @TheGoodRoots
“My way of showing love to loved one’s is by filling their tummies with good food and it’s always a great way to show my mother she did a great job raising me, because I’ll be able to nourish and treat my own family one day with only the best ingredients from Faithful to Nature.
I baked her favourite dessert, apple crumble pie, with a twist of vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free. If you want to trim on the calories even more half the base and crumble ingredients and only top the apples with a crumble with no base.”
VEGAN APPLE CRUMBLE PIE
Crumble & base
- 2 ½ cups Gluten-free cake flour (sub brown rice flour)
- 4 Tbsps desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs (4tbsps flax seed flour & ¼ water)
- 1 cup coconut blossom sugar
- 2 Tbsps vanilla extract
- 2 tsp’s cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp’s baking powder
- 1 tsp’s salt
- 6-8 apples, peeled, cored & chopped (granny smith)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp agave/maple syrup/ local raw honey
- 5-6 tbsps water
Crumble & base
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees delcius
- In a large bowl mix oil, sugar, vanilla extract and spices together.
- Prepare the flax eggs by mixing the flax seed flour with water in a small bowl. Leave to thicken for 5minutes.
- Add all the dry ingredients and combine. Best to use your hands.
- Press half of the dough into a sprayed tart tin and put in the oven for 15 minutes or until dry.
- Roll the other half of the dough into a ball and wrap in cling wrap or put in a container with a lit in the freezer while the base is baking.
- Start with the filling.
- In a saucepan, heat up the apple pieces together with everything else and a little bit of hot water so the apples don’t stick or burn to the surface. Cook until soft.
- After the base has baked brush the surface with a little syrup or apricot jam.
- Put the filling onto the base. Grate the half-frozen dough on top until apples are covered.
- Put the pie back into oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Pair it with Angelique’s delicious Beetroot & Cacao Latte…