01 Jun Korean Miso and Kimchi Soup
This Korean Miso and Kimchi Soup was made by Amy van der Merwe of AnEarthenLife.com.
QUICK KIMCHI INGREDIENTS
QUICK KIMCHI METHOD
- Chop the cabbage into chunks and massage salt into cabbage. Let it stand for 20 – 60 minutes – the longer you leave it the better it gets. You can leave it for a few days and it will start to ferment. This is really where you start to get the best nutrition from the kimchi.
- Half a brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, grated
- 1 Tsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 Tsp black pepper
- 1 Tsp Korean chilli pepper paste
- 2 Sachets King Soba Instant Miso Soup or 1 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- 2 Spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms, halved
- Half 140g tin bamboo shoots
- 1 Small bunch Buckwheat soba noodles, rice noodles or egg noodles (whatever your preference)
- 1 Litre water
- 1 Tsp seaweed flakes
- You will need 2 pots – fill one with enough water for your noodles and bring to the boil. When it is boiling add in your noodles and cook until cooked through – this will not be for longer than 2 minutes. Once cooked pour through a colander and run cold water over the noodles to make them stop cooking and set aside. If you’d like to be water-wise ensure you pour the water out into a plugged sink to rinse dishes or reuse the water in your garden or toilet cylinder.
- In the other pot pour some oil in the bottom and add in the garlic, ginger, onion, chilli paste and black pepper. Sweat until the onion is transparent – add in the bamboo and mushrooms and fry for 1 minute. Add in the 1 litre of water, miso and soy sauce and bring to the boil. Let it boil rapidly for 15 minutes adding more water if need be.
- In a bowl ladle in the soup and then place the noodles in the centre with some mushrooms and bamboo shoots, place kimchi in the bowl, sprinkle with sesame seeds, sesame oil, spring onions and seaweed and serve.
- This is a quick, easy and healthy meal that has so many great health and immune boosting properties, it is perfect for winter and the change from warm to cold weather.