04 Jan De-light-ful Detox Salad Recipe
This one’s for all those faithful fans who have resolved to get back into healthy eating habits after indulging a little more than normal over the festive period. This “detox-in-a-bowl” salad is packed with alkalising greens, topped with avo and walnuts for a dose of healthy fats, and drizzled with a light lemon juice dressing that will leave your taste buds and your tummy satisfied – without the calories or the guilt. This is one detox salad recipe that will make sticking to your healthy New Year’s resolutions a real pleasure!
What goes into it:
- 2 cups (tightly packed) dinosaur kale
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 large carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 avocados
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1Tbsp sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup grapeseed oil
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- 2tsp whole grain mustard
- 2tsp grade B maple syrup (optional)
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
How to make it:
- Whisk or blend together the grapeseed oil, lemon juice, ginger, mustard, maple syrup & salt. Set aside until ready to use.
- Thinly slice the kale & cabbage.
- Peel & grate the carrots.
- Slice the pepper into matchsticks.
- Peel & dice the avocado.
- Chop the parsley & walnuts.
- Combine the kale, cabbage, broccoli, bell pepper & carrots in a large serving bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad & toss until well-coated.
- Garnish with parsley, diced avocado & sesame seeds.
- Enjoy! Makes approx. 6 servings.
Why it’s so good:
- The veggies in this salad (kale, cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, broccoli) are all potent antioxidant and great sources of fibre; they help to bring down your cholesterol and keep your blood sugar levels balanced. They’re also packed with vitamins K, C and A.
- Walnuts are a great plant-based source of protein, minerals and healthy fatty acids. Avocado is loaded with omegas.
- Lemon juice has great alkalising properties, as does kale.
- Maple syrup is a source of antioxidants and energy; it has a low glycaemic index and won’t cause your blood sugar levels to spike.