Heavenly waffles… light, crispy and simply irresistible! And so easy to make. Here is a dairy-free version with an unusual but divine twist we love because it includes a secret ingredient that’s super healthy and all the rage, being packed with probiotics for your tum: Kombucha.
Kombucha is tea that has a tasty tang, much like ginger beer or cider, because it’s been fermented with a culture of bacteria called a SCOBY. These bacteria are well known to be really beneficial for your gut health, which in turn benefits your overall health in ways scientists have only begun to understand.
Kombucha’s popularity has blossomed in recent years, and there is an amazing array of flavours and tastes to explore in the kombucha corner. You can even make your own if you are one of those lovers of all things homemade and would like your very own SCOBY to look after (Kombucha is alive!)
For this recipe you can simply use a few bottles of your favourite flavour kombucha – mango, guava, pomegranate, rose geranium, coffee, or original Kombucha tea is tasty too. You’ll use this slightly fizzy beverage to replace milk in the recipe.
- 3 ½ cups stone ground unbleached white flour
- 4 tablespoons of cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons aluminum free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 free range eggs, beaten
- 3 ½ cups kombucha, flavored or unflavoured
- 1 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Non-dairy coconut or dairy cream (whipped or unwhipped), coconut butter, agave syrup, raw honey, erythritol icing dust, cinnamon, chocolate spread, fresh berries, chopped nuts, jams, berry preserves (try our fabulous new Chaloner range with amazing preserves such as Raspberry & Vanilla, strawberry and rosehip, Blueberry, Raspberry & Lavender), a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Heat up your waffle maker
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl
- Combine well and create a well in the center
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, kombucha, coconut oil (or butter), and vanilla
- Mix well
- Poor the wet ingredients into the center of the dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are well combined
- Allow to rest for 1-2 minutes
- Scoop into waffle maker ½ cup at a time and cook according to your waffle maker’s instructions
- This recipe makes a generous 10-12 large waffles
(with thanks to: naturalfamilytoday)