15 May Get Crafty with DIY Necklace Diffusers
Essential oils have so many uses, from cleaning your home to soothing your skin – but did you know these little wonders can also be used to create unique jewellery? That’s right, you can make your own “diffuser necklace”, with a clay pendant and a few drops of your favourite essential oils! Terra-cotta clay absorbs oil and keeps the fragrance strong, so you’ll carry the scent with you whenever you wear it. These beautiful handmade accessories make such special gifts, and they’re surprisingly easy to put together. Time to roll up your sleeves and get crafty…
What You’ll Need:
- Terra-cotta air-dry clay
- Small assorted stamps
- Cotton thread or hemp string
- Small round cookie-cutter or bottle top
- Rolling pin
- Baking sheet & wax paper
- Nail file
- Wooden skewer
- Your chosen essential oils
Try any of these oils for an uplifting, warming fragrance in your diffuser necklace; or get creative and mix-and-match.
How To Make It:
- Take a handful of clay & work it with your hands, to make it soft & pliable.
- Place your wax paper over your baking sheet. Roll out the clay onto the wax paper.
- Use the cookie-cutter or bottle top to cut the clay into several discs, approx. 1½ inches in diameter.
- Use your stamps to create patterns and designs in each disc.
- Use a drop or two of water on your fingertips, to smooth out the rough edges of the discs.
- Use a skewer to make a hole in the top of each disc.
- Follow the directions on your clay packaging for drying. Once the pendants are dry, use a nail file to smooth any rough edges.
- Cut your cord or string to the desired length. Put both ends of your cord through the hole of a pendant, then pull the ends through the loop of cord you’ve created. Pull this tight so that it secures the pendant and will lay flat against your chest. Tie the ends together. (You can also use finished necklace cords or chains for a more finished look.)
- Add 3-4 drops of your favourite essential oil (or essential oil blend) to each pendant. Terra-cotta absorbs the oil, and will let you carry the fragrance of the oils with you wherever you go! Simply add a drop or 2 more when the scent starts to fade.
Share your beautiful DIY Necklace Diffusers with us on our Faithful to Nature Facebook Page; we’d love to see them!