Sugar, spice and all things nice – festive baking wouldn’t be the same without the flavours and aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and other delectable Christmassy spices. Get into the holiday spirit with this easy-to-make Paleo Christmas Muffins recipe, made with one of our team’s favourite organic spice blends.
Christmas Spice Sweet Potato Muffins
- 1 large sweet potato
- 120ml extra virgin olive oil
- 120ml unsweetened almond milk
- 180ml real Grade B maple syrup (plus another 2 extra Tbsp to brush the muffins)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 300g gluten-free almond flour
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- 2tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½tbsp Good Life Five Sugar Spice*
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
*The secret ingredient:
Good Life Organic Five-Sugar Spice is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom and coriander, in a base of brown cane sugar. The prefect blend of warming zesty spices and sweetness, to perfect your Banting / Paleo muffins. Good Life spices are non-irradiated and pesticide-free.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Prick the sweet potato a few times with a fork. Bake until soft (approx. 1 hour). Set aside until completely cool.
- Peel the sweet potato, discard the skin & mash the flesh with a fork.
- Whisk the olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup & vanilla into the sweet potato.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, spice & salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the sweet potato mix.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners & drop a spoonful of batter into each cup.
- Bake at 200°C for 20- 25 minutes; brush the tops of the muffins with the extra maple syrup during the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Cool before serving. Share & enjoy!