14 Jan Natural Anti-Bug Tips & Recipes for Summer
Summer weather means fun and sunshine, beaches and bushveld, but of course it also inevitably means bugs bugs and more bugs! From pesky flies to troublesome fleas, and of course the loathed mosquitoes, bugs come out in their numbers to enjoy the warm weather – and make a real nuisance of themselves. Now your first instinct might be to reach for the nearest can of supermarket bug spray or plug in the mosquito coils; but these “remedies” are loaded with synthetic toxins that can cause more harm than good. Ordinary bug repellents don’t just kill insects, they also pollute the air and water, irritate our skin and leave us with a cough and watering eyes. Luckily Faithful to Nature has a wealth of really effective, toxin-free remedies available; these simple solutions send bugs packing without causing any adverse effects to your family or your environment. And the best part is, you can even whip up bug-repellent remedies yourself, using ingredients straight from your kitchen!
Herbal Anti-Bug Spray Recipe
This herbal infusion keeps bugs like mosquitoes and flies at bay, refreshes the skin and smells great too.
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup witch hazel
- 1Tbsp spearmint or peppermint (fresh or dried)
- 1Tbsp lemongrass or citronella (fresh or dried)
- 1Tbsp lavender (fresh or dried)
- 2 dried cloves
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add the herbs & mix well. Remove from heat, cover & leave to cool (NB: keep covered to stop the herbs’ volatile oils from evaporating).
- Strain out the herbs. Add the witch hazel to the water & store in a spray bottle.
- Keep your anti-bug spray in the fridge or in a cool place. Spray directly onto skin as needed.
Natural Bug-Banishing Balm Recipe
Take this handy ointment camping or hiking; apply directly to the skin to ward off mosquitoes.
- 100ml cocoa butter
- 100ml coconut oil
- 100ml beeswax pastilles*
- 2Tbsp castor oil
- 15 drops citronella essential oil
- 15 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 15 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops spearmint or peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops cedarwood essential oil
*If you struggle to find beeswax, use 200ml coconut oil instead.
- Gently melt the coconut oil, cocoa butter & beeswax over a low heat, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture is completely melted, remove from heat & allow to cool slightly.
- Mix in the essential oils.
- Pour into several small sterilised glass jars or tins.
- After 30 minutes, the balm should be completely cool & solid.
Nifty Ways to Soothe Itchy Mozzie Bites
Sometimes nasty mosquito bites just can’t be avoided; but luckily there are some great natural remedies for the itching and irritation.
- Apply a lemon slice directly to the affected areas. Lemon acts as an anti-inflammatory to relieve swelling, & a mild anaesthetic to relieve the stinging/ itching, while its antiseptic properties prevent infection.
- Dip a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar & dab on the affected areas. ACV balances the skin’s pH & is also an effective anti-inflammatory.
- Dab a little raw honey on the affected areas. Honey is so soothing, plus it’s antiseptic, antimicrobial & anti-inflammatory; great for reducing swelling & preventing infection.
- Make a paste using baking soda & a little filtered water; apply to the affected areas, leave to dry & then rinse off. Baking soda is alkaline, so it neutralises the acidic chemical that causes the itching.
Lemon Oil Spray for Fleas
Don’t forget the pests that bug your furry friends! The D-limonene in lemons acts as a natural pesticide to send fleas packing. It’s easy to make and so affordable.
- 4 lemons, sliced
- Enough filtered water to cover the lemon slices
- Simmer the water & lemons for 45 minutes.
- Leave the mixture to cool completely, then strain it.
- Transfer the liquid to a clean spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture onto your dog or cat’s fur. CAUTION: Do NOT spray this on your pet’s face as the citrus may irritate their eyes & noses.
- Gently brush the spray into your pet’s fur. Repeat every 2-3 weeks to keep fleas away. Discontinue use if your pet shows any signs of irritation.
If you prefer getting your anti-bug solutions ready-made instead of the DIY approach, you’ll be pleased to know we offer a great range of non-toxic sprays, balms and creams to stop bugs from bugging you. Browse our natural mozzie & insect repellents online, and enjoy a pest-free summer!