30 Jun 2 Delicious Low-Carb Bread Recipes for the Gluten-Free Gourmet
We’ve been writing a lot about bread lately, inspiring you to try healthy, wholesome alternatives to those ultra-processed supermarket loaves. There are so many creative and tasty ways to bake bread without using grains; this is great news for anyone with Celiac or gluten intolerance. Take a look at these 2 gluten-free, low-carb bread recipes, loaded with the nutritional power of coconut and almond products – plus a few surprising ingredients like apple cider vinegar and Japanese green tea!
1. Almond Flour & Coconut Milk Bread
Gluten-free, dairy-free and delicious; packed with protein and nutrients, with a mildly nutty flavour.
- 1¼cups coconut milk, room temperature
- 4 eggs, whisked, room temperature
- ¼cup melted coconut oil
- 1tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1tbsp honey
- 2cups almond flour
- ½cup coconut flour, sifted
- 2tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 1tsp sea salt
- ¾tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a loaf pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- Whisk all dry ingredients (flours, salt, psyllium & baking soda) together in a bowl until combined.
- Mix all wet ingredients (milk, eggs, oil, vinegar, honey) with an electric mixer.
- Add the whisked dry ingredients to the wet & mix again with an electric mixer.
- Using a flexible spatula, scoop half of the batter into the loaf pan & press it down firmly.
- Add the rest of the batter to the pan & press down firmly again, until the top is smooth & level.
- Bake the loaf for about 70 minutes.
- After baking, leave the bread to rest in the pan until cool.
2. Matcha Almond Tea Cake
This loaf is high in fibre, low in carbs and gluten-free, with the distinctive flavour of Japanese Matcha tea for an antioxidant boost.
- 1tbsp Matcha green tea powder
- 2tbsp hot water
- 3cups almond flour
- 1/3cup unflavoured whey protein powder
- 1½tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- ½tsp salt
- ½cup butter, softened
- ½cup granulated Erythritol
- 3 large eggs
- 20 drops stevia extract
- 1tsp almond extract
- ½cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Grease or line a bread loaf pan.
- Whisk the Matcha powder & hot water together until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk together almond flour, whey protein, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Set aside.
- Beat the butter until smooth. Add Erythritol & for approx. 2min until well-combined.
- Beat in the eggs, 1 at time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the stevia extract.
- Beat in half of the almond flour mixture, then the almond milk.
- Add the remaining almond flour mixture & beat until well-combined.
- Divide the batter in half. Beat the Matcha mixture into 1 half until well-combined. Beat the almond extract into the other half.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf pan (alternating spoonfuls from each half). Swirl the batters together with a knife or fork, & smooth down the top of the mixture.
- Bake for 60min until the top of the loaf turns golden-brown.
- Leave to cool in the loaf pan for 5min, then transfer your loaf to a wire rack to cool completely. Serves 12.