04 Dec Christmas Wreath Cake: Gluten-Free Buckwheat Apple Ring Cake
If you’re the crafty type, you’ve probably made your fair share of groovy hand-made Christmas baubles, wreaths and baked goodies with a creative twist. Now here’s a novel way to combine two awesome Christmas crafts; a Christmas cake that’s also a Christmas wreath, adding a truly festive touch to your table. Plus it’s surprisingly healthy, made with no grain or gluten, suitable for vegans and free of processed sugars. Happy baking!
Buckwheat Apple Christmas Wreath Cake
- 1½ cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup flax seed flour
- ¾ cup almond flour, sifted
- 2tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground nutmeg
- 1½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, mixed with 1tsp apple cider vinegar (makes a “buttermilk” mix)
- Zest & juice of 1 organic lemon
- 4 large apples, peeled & cored
- 2 apples sliced
- 2 apples cut into small chunks
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup pecan nuts
- 2Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a spring-form ring-shaped pan with coconut oil.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder & spices in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest & mix it with your fingers to release the lemon flavour.
- Add the raisins & pecan nuts; stir until evenly coated & set aside.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients (apple sauce & buttermilk) in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients & stir gently with a wooden spoon or spatula until incorporated.
- Fold in the apple chunks.
- Pour the batter into your prepared ring pan.
- Place the apple slices around the top of the batter. Sprinkle the shredded coconut on top of the apple slices.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before removing your cake from the pan.
For a real Christmassy look, decorate your wreath pudding with apple slices, cranberries, raspberries, a dusting of powdered sugar or xylitol, and sprigs of holly or mint!