26 Oct Chocolate Avo Muffins with Macadamia Nut Butter Frosting
I am a total foodie, cooking school owner and food stylist. And also full-time feeder of my little family. I am not following any specific diet yet, but I am on a journey to eat cleaner and greener.
I am always amazed at the versatility of avocado and that it can be eaten and used in so many different ways. The options are endless, from smoothies, cheesecakes, topping on soups, ice cream, pizza and on toast, of course.
But did you know avocados can take the place of a fat in your baking recipes?
These muffins are super moist and really do remind you of a brownie/chocolate cake combo. Spread them lavishly with amazing macadamia nut butter frosting and you have an absolute winner for teatime. Macadamia nut butter is already naturally sweet, so there is not even really a need to add a sweetener.
This recipe is completely vegan and can also be frozen. Enjoy!
Makes 12 muffins
- 6 tbsp cocoa
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp sweetener of your choice (maple syrup, agave, date syrup)
- 1 cup avocado
- ¾ cups water
- ½ cup melted dark chocolate
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
MACADAMIA NUT BUTTER FROSTING
- 125 g Macadamia nut butter
- 1 tbsp sweetener of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix cocoa, flours, baking powder and salt together.
- Blend the avocado, melted chocolate, water, sweetener and vanilla together in a blender or Nutribullet
- Mix with dry ingredients.
- Scoop into muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes until risen and cooked through.
- Mix macadamia nut butter with your choice of sweetener (if you think it needs one) together, spread on cooled cupcakes.
With thanks to Ankie Niesing of The Wooden Spoon Kitchen for sharing this recipe with us