17 Jun Top Recipes & Product Picks for the 5:2 Diet
The 5:2 Diet, also known as The Fast Diet or Intermittent Fasting, is fast gaining popularity not just as a weight loss plan, but as a healthier way of life. This eating plan can take some getting used to though, as you’ll have to keep your calorie intake very low for 2 days every week. Luckily, there are plenty of low-calorie recipes you’ll find delicious, and easy to make. The Faithful team has put together some handy 5:2 recipes you’ll love; each one is under 200 calories a serving, so you can enjoy them on fast days and “normal” days. Plus we’ve included a fab shopping list to get you started.
1. Spinach & Egg White Omelette
70 calories using non-stick cookware. Add 1tsp coconut oil for 39 extra calories.
- 3 egg whites
- ½cup spinach
- ½cup onion, chopped
- 4 or 5 grape tomatoes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté the onion in a non-stick pan until translucent (3-4min).
- Add spinach & sauté until slightly wilted.
- Place mixture in a small glass dish & add the 3 egg whites.
- Add sliced tomatoes, season with salt & pepper. Bake in oven for 17min.
2. Superfood Smoothie
- 1 small banana
- Juice of 1 orange
- Twist of lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 1tbsp Superfoods Shake
- Combine in a food processor & blend until smooth.
1. Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Makes 8 servings. 80 calories per serving.
- 425g chickpeas, cooked & drained
- ½ a red onion, quartered & thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber, peeled, seeded & chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3tbsp lemon juice
- 2tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼tsp salt
- Toss all salad ingredients together in a bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil & refrigerate for 5-10mins to bring out the flavours. Serve cold.
2. Hearty Miso Soup
Makes 8 servings. 160 calories per serving
- ½tsp sesame oil
- 1tbsp ginger-root, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cups water
- ½tbsp wakame
- 1½ cups carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 40g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1½ cups edamame, frozen & shelled
- 140g buckwheat noodles
- 450g baby bok choy, cut into ½-inch slices
- 6 – 8tbsp miso
- (Optional: 1tsp wasabi)
- Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick pot. Add the ginger & garlic; cook for 1min.
- Add the water, wakame, carrots & mushrooms; bring to a simmer. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes (until mushrooms are tender).
- Add the edamame & cook for another 5mins.
- Add the noodles & bok choy. Cover & cook until noodles are tender (approx. 7min).
- Place the miso & wasabi in a bowl. Add approx. ½ cup of the hot soup broth. Stir until smooth, then add back to the pot. Heat through but do not boil. Serve hot.
Spicy Baby Aubergine Stew with Coriander & Mint
Makes 4 servings. 148 calories per serving.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 red chillies, deseeded & sliced
- 2tsp coriander seeds, toasted & crushed
- 2tsp cumin seeds, toasted & crushed
- 16 baby aubergines, left whole with stalk intact
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2tsp sugar
- Handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- Sauté the onions & garlic in olive oil until they begin to colour.
- Add the chillies, coriander & cumin seeds. When the seeds give off a nutty aroma, toss in the aubergines, coating them in the onion & spices.
- Add the tomatoes & sugar, cover & gently cook until aubergines are tender (approx. 40min).
- Toss in half the mint & coriander. Simmer for 2min.
- Sprinkle over remaining herbs & serve with couscous and yogurt.
Our Must-Have 5:2 Diet Shopping List:
1. Chia seeds
3. Miso soup
5. Rolled oats
8. Coconut oil
9. Non-stick cookware (reduces the need for cooking oils)
12. Coconut water
18. Omega oil
20. Brown lentils
21. Almond milk
22. Red wine vinegar
23. Herbal teas; great for staying warm & hydrated on fast days