Serves: 6 – 10
Prep time 24 hours (soaking)
Cooking 35 minutes
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked in filtered water in the fridge overnight)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract / powder
- 1 can coconut cream
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 200g dates
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
¼ cup raw buckwheat groats (the hulled seeds of the buckwheat plant)
- ½ cup almond flour (or raw almond blended into flour)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- Fresh fruit and flowers for decorating.
- Cashew filling: Soak the cashews in water in the fridge overnight. Drain the soaked cashews and blend with the remaining ingredients until very smooth. Set aside in a bowl in the fridge until the tart base is ready.
- Buckwheat tart base: Preheat the oven to 150°C, blend together the dates and coconut oil until it forms a paste then add the buckwheat, flour, almonds and spices. Pulse until it forms a coarse sand texture. Press into a pie dish and bake for 10 minutes until golden. Allow to cool completely before pouring in the cashew filling.
- Set the tart in the fridge for 3 – 4 hours, or pop in the freezer for 45 minutes to firm up.
- Serve with fresh fruit, whipped coconut cream, and an extra drizzle of maple syrup.