26 Jun 2 Raw Bread Recipes that Rock!
Many people who haven’t tried the raw food diet are discouraged by the misconception that it’s very restrictive, and means giving up many of your favourite foods. But as any raw foodist will tell you, this simply isn’t true – in fact, the raw diet gives you plenty of new, creative and nourishing ways to enjoy the things you love most! That includes raw bread – yes, you heard right – it’s possible, it’s simpler than it sounds, plus of course it’s delicious and packed with nutrients.
Check out this tasty raw bread recipe, great for picnics and lunch boxes, and a flax cracker “toast” recipe your family will love at breakfast-time.
1. Raw Buckwheat Bread
- ½cup olive oil
- 1½cups sun-dried tomatoes
- 3cups sprouted buckwheat
- 3½cups peeled courgette, chopped
- 2cups apple, cored & chopped
- 3tbsp lemon juice
- 2 avocados
- 1 large onion
- ½cup minced parsley
- 1cup flax meal
- Blend the olive oil, tomatoes, buckwheat, courgette, apple, lemon juice, avocados, onion & parsley in a food processor until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl & mix in the flax meal by hand, until you have a thick, sticky batter.
- Blend the batter again in your food processor, but in small batches. This will help you get a light, fluffy texture.
- Divide the mixture in half & spread evenly on 2 flexible, non-stick dehydrator sheets. Score into 9 equal squares with a knife.
- Dehydrate for 2 hours at 110-115°F.
- Remove the sheets from your dehydrator and flip the batter over. (Tip: place another tray and mesh on top of the batter & invert; then you can to peel the sheet off easily.)
- Dehydrate the underside of the bread for approx. 8 hours more; the bread is ready to eat when it feels light and slightly crisp.
2. Cinnamon Raisin Flax “Toast”
- 2cups raw almonds
- 1cup sunflower seeds
- 1cup flax meal
- 1cup pureed courgette (zucchini)
- 2 carrots
- 1 apple
- 1cup raisins
- 4 dates
- ½cup water
- 1tsp cinnamon
- Process the sunflower seeds in a blender until finely chopped, then set aside in a bowl.
- Process the almonds until finely chopped; place in bowl with the sunflower seeds.
- Add the flax & stir to combine.
- Process the carrots & apple until you get a puree. Add the courgette puree & mix.
- Blend the dates with the water until liquefied (you can soak the dates first to soften them).
- Add date mixture to the carrot, apple & courgette mix; stir well.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry & mix well. Add the cinnamon & raisins.
- Spread evenly over a non-stick dehydrator tray.
- Dehydrate for 1 hour at 145°, reduce heat & continue for 2 hours at 116°.
- Flip the mixture & put it back in the dehydrator for approx. 4-6 more hours, until dry but still slightly soft.
- Enjoy with your favourite raw nut butter – makes a tasty, wholesome raw breakfast.
Check out our fab raw food range oinline for more inspiration.