17 Dec Homemade Superfood Ice-Lollies
Sometimes it’s just so hot that nothing else will do other than to bite into a refreshing ice-cold summer favourite – the ice-lolly. Instead of the sugary options in the supermarket ice-chest, why not mix your own equally delish version with some added zing for your health? You know you can add superfoods to smoothies and even cocktails, but now enter superfood ice lollies – a refreshing and nutritious way to cool down.
• Use juice as fresh as possible – if you juice it yourself it won’t be any fresher and packed with living nutrients. You also get to choose organic
• Use pureed whole fruits fresh or frozen – mangos, pitted cherries, berries, pineapple, and banana. Make sure they are ripe
• Healthy sweeteners: cold food tastes less sweet so if it’s sweetness you want, use sweeteners like raw honey, agave, maple syrup or xylitol and make it a little sweeter than usual
• Superfood powders: boost your lollies with a tablespoon or two of your favourite superfood powder the same way you would a smoothie. You can even go green with a bit of spirulina or wheatgrass
• For creaminess add nut butters and healthy milk replacements like coconut, almond and hemp milk. Makes a divine combination with fruit purees such as mangos and berries
• If you don’t have ice lolly moulds use small paper cups, place some tinfoil over the top to poke your stick through to keep it in place
Bare Necessities Fresh Fruit Pops
Coconut water is the prefect touch for a sweltering hot day – it replaces electrolytes, rehydrating you, and has that breezy tropical effect that makes you feel as if you are in the Bahamas.
• 2-3 Kiwis, peeled and sliced
• 1 punnet Fresh Strawberries, sliced
• 2-3 Tangerine Oranges, peeled and sliced
• 1 punnet Fresh Blueberries
• Coconut Water
• Ice-lolly Mould
• Add cut up fruit into moulds, leaving some spaces in-between
• Pour in the coconut water, filling the moulds
• Freeze overnight until solid
• Remove from mould and serve
Tip: run the moulds under warm water briefly to make the lollys slide out easily
Super Duper Piña Colada
These are yum enough for your kiddies to devour with delight even though they have no sugar and are spiked with the superfood goodness of baobab. With more vitamin C than oranges and more calcium than milk, baobab powder helps to boost the immune system, with plenty of B vitamins and fibre to boot.
01 Jun, 2015, By Jenne Baobab powder is my favourite superfood. It tastes AWESOME – is local – offers amazing immune support; is an excellent digestion aid and is high in calcium. What more could a growing family ask for 🙂
[add-to-bag productid=”3996″ variantgroup=”608″ variantvalue=”2029″]
Blend until smooth in a blender and pour into lolly moulds and freeze overnight
The Big Red
Beetroot juice has been shown to increase stamina, and açaí berries are an ancient celebrated remedy renowned as a source of energy and for their healing and immune-boosting properties, packed full of antioxidants, amino acids and essential fatty acids. You can replace the beetroot with apple juice if you don’t like beetroot.
• 150g watermelon (roughly one slice)
• handful of strawberries
• handful of raspberries
• 50ml beetroot juice
• 50ml apple juice
• 1 tsp Açaí berry powder
Blend in a blender, pour into lolly moulds and freeze overnight
Fruit, Herb & Coconut Milk Ice-Lolly
The healthy (medium-chain) fats in pure coconut milk can actually help you feel fuller and satisfied for longer, controlling your appetite and curbing unwanted cravings. Plus the medium-chain fatty acids give your metabolism a boost, helping you to burn fat more efficiently. Add to that herbs and fruit – a naturally healthy gourmet take on the ice lolly.
• 1 can coconut milk
• 1/4 cup raw cane sugar/xylitol/maple or agave syrup
• Chopped frozen fruit of your choice – berries, citrus, pineapple
• Finely chopped lavender, rosemary, basil
• You can add a dash of vanilla extract if you like
• Blend the coconut milk and sweetener together in a blender
• Fill the moulds with the fruit pieces leaving spaces for the coconut milk
• Fill up with the sweetened coconut mixture
• Freeze overnight
Green Dream Pops
For those of you serious about eating a healthy ice-lolly here is a green option. You can use regular raw honey, but Manuka honey is unlike any other honey, as it possesses significantly stronger anti-microbial activity than other types with the antibacterial component content being up to 100 times more.
• 1 large, ripe avocado
• 1 banana, ripe
• 2 tablespoons Green smoothie mix
• 1 cup leafy greens (spinach is the most mild)
• 1/2 cup manuka honey or maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup coconut water
Blend together in a blender, pour into your moulds and freeze overnight.
Raw Superfood Bliss Ice Lolly
This is a feel-good non-dairy creamy, milky treat packed with superfoods that boost your sense of wellbeing. Maca is an adaptogen, helping the body to adapt to increased stressors and is also an amazing hormone balancer and strength builder, and mesquite pods are among the earliest known foods of prehistoric man in the new world, with the seedpods rich in protein.
• 2 cups Almond milk
• 1 tablespoon almond butter or other nut butter of your choice (optional)
• 1 Banana
• 1 – 2 pitted Dates
• 1 tablespoon Maca Powder
• 1 tablespoon Cacao Powder
• 1 tablespoon Mesquite Powder
• A Handful of Baby Kale or Spinach
[add-to-bag productid=”1379″ variantgroup=”180″ variantvalue=”1444″]
Blend ingredients together and adjust to taste. Pour into ice lolly moulds and freeze overnight.
Wonderful source of protein!
05 Aug, 2015, By Sharon This would not be something I would normally buy in case I did not like the taste etc. I will certainly be ordering this in the future! I have gone from being a vegetarian to becoming vegan so this is a wonderful source of protein! I have been putting it on my oats in the morning!
[add-to-bag productid=”3517″ variantgroup=”567″ variantvalue=”1885″]