08 Feb Heart Healthy Hemp & Berry Nice-Cream Sandwiches
In this recipe we are making a decadent nice-cream sandwich that is good for your heart. It is gluten free, sugar free and packed full of antioxidant berries. But most importantly for the health of our hearts it is full of omega 3s and for plant-based and animal-centric diets alike we are all lacking in the 3s. Plant-based omega 3’s are found in hemp and chia seeds and this recipe has both. Omega 3’s are polyunsaturated fats essential for every healthy body.
- They reduce triglycerides, a type of fat in your blood.
- They reduce the risk of developing an irregular heart beat (arrhythmias).
- They slow the buildup of plaque, a substance comprising fat, cholesterol, and calcium, which hardens and blocks your arteries.
- They help to slightly lower your blood pressure.
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 2 TBS hemp hearts
- ½ cup rolled oats (or gluten-free oats)
- Pinch pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp reishi powder (optional)
- ¼ cup hemp for coating
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup berries or red pity
- 2 TBS berry beetroot powder
- 2 TBS chia seeds
- 2 TBS maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- In a food processor place the dates and chop into a course texture. Remove the dates and put in the oats and grind until it forms a flour. Add the dates back in with all the rest of the ingredients and blend until it forms a ball.
- Roll the date mix out into a rectangle – about 5 mm thick. Scatter the rolling hemp hearts on to it and roll into the sticky dates. Cut in half and place one half with the hemp hearts down into a baking tray with higher sides – or something that will keep the filling in.
- Place all the filling ingredients into a jug blender and blend until smooth. Pour onto the date sheet and gently place the other date sheet ontop with the hemp hearts facing up.
- Place in the freezer – cut into bars when it is frozen and enjoy like a lovely ice cream sandwich.