No one ever said going gluten-free should deprive you of delicious indulgences like these chocolate cassava brownies. Thanks to Valeska, the entrepreneurial mom behind the Health Riot brand, we now have a go-to recipe for gluten-free brownies that no longer fall under the guilty pleasure category.
Prep time: 20 min Cook time: 25 min Serves: 12
½ cup butter, melted and cooled down
½ tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups sugar (coconut sugar for Paleo)
¾ cup cassava flour
½ cup raw organic cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking powder
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tbsp cassava flour to coat chocolate chips
¾ cup good quality chocolate chips
¾ cup diced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 170 °C.
2. Coat an 8 x 8 inch square baking dish with butter.
3. In one bowl, combine the cooled down, melted butter, vanilla extract, and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
4. In a second bowl, sift the cassava flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
5. Beat the eggs, one at a time, into the sugar and butter mixture, mix well.
6. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, mixing slowly, until just combined.
7. Stir the chocolate chips into the tablespoon of extra cassava flour. This prevents the chips from sinking to the bottom.
8. Now fold the chips and almonds into the batter.
9. Pour the batter into the pan and level off the top.
10. Bake for 20–25 minutes. Brownies are ready when the edges start to pull away from the sides of the dish. The centre will appear a little wiggly, but will firm up once the brownies cool down.
These are so tasty, we’re pretty sure they’ll become your go to brownie recipe in future.