29 Jan We Can’t Get Enough Of These Chai Spiced Energy Balls
When you’re in need of an energy boost, these warming, chai spiced energy balls will keep you going. They’re packed with protein-rich hemp seeds and almonds, and filled with fibre from the coconut and dates.
The signature chai spices — cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and black pepper — are warming, grounding, and soothing. Not only that, but many of them can help to promote digestive health, balance our blood sugar, and boost immunity.
They’re great as a breakfast on-the-go, mid-afternoon pick-me-up, or indulgent dessert (just add 1 Tbsp raw cacao powder). What are you waiting for – give them a try!
Makes 18 – 20 bites
Note: Don’t be put off by the long ingredient list – you should have most of these items already in your pantry. And if not, you can stock up right here at Faithful to Nature – we guarantee you’ll find lots of delicious ways to use them!
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp desiccated coconut
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp fine grain Himalyan salt
- Toast 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut until lightly browned.
- Pulse almonds and ½ cup desiccated coconut in a food processor until completely ground (no chunks of almonds!).
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the 2 tablespoons of toasted coconut, and blend in the food processor until all ingredients are combined into a dough-like consistency.
- Press chunks of the dough into a ball in your hands, then roll dough into balls with the palms of your hands. If you’d like, roll them in the toasted, desiccated coconut.
Store in the refrigerator in a glass container. They will firm up in the fridge because the coconut oil will cause them to “set” at that cooler temperature.
If you want them to be a little softer, feel free to set them out on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes before eating. As you chew them slowly, they will feel like they are melting in your mouth.
Adapted from: Mind Body Green.