08 Oct Broccoli Leaf – Introducing the Humble New Superfood
With the advent of smoothies and juicing and all the amazing superfoods to choose from, who would have thought that lurking in our compost, or even worse, our dustbins, is a superfood that rivals kale in its nutritional profile.
You may have been told to eat your broccoli when you were little, but your broccoli leaf? Finally, a superfood you can simply salvage from your common garden veggies!
Here’s Why Broccoli Leaf is the New Kale:
• Broccoli Leaf is high so high in Vitamin C, a serving can provide you with your full daily dose
• It has even more calcium and protein than Kale
• It’s high in glucosinolates (like all cruciferous veggies are) which break down when it’s chopped, chewed and digested, into compounds that have been studied for their anti-cancer effects
• It’s high in vitamin A – higher than the actual broccoli itself. Vitamin A is essential for good eye health and new skin cell turn over
• Higher in fibre than the florets are
• It’s densly packed with phytonutrients
• The added bonus is that is comes with broccoli, something you may already be eating, and throwing the leaves out
• If you grow your own broccoli, you can use the whole plant as a nourishing, healthy food
• Use the leaves in your meals by cutting out the large middle vein and eat it like you would spinach – fry it up or add it to your salads
• Add it raw to your smoothie as an economical addition that’s super-healthy
Enjoying the Benefits of Broccoli
• Trim the leaves off the broccoli
• Cut out the middle thick veins
• Rinse and dry the leaves
• Roll the leaves up like pancake and slice into strips
• Heat your oil in a pan and sauté the garlic
• Add the broccoli leaves and and stir them around in the oil
• Add the water and cover
• Let steam for a few minutes
• Sprinkle the chilli powder and salt and pepper before you serve
• Have it alongside your mains or as a quick, delish protein packed snack
(Adapted from: https://www.masslive.com/food/2014/12/superfood_broccoli_leaf_will_b.html)
Broccoli & Hemp Protein Smoothie
• 3 Large broccoli leaves, leaf ribs removed
• 1 Peach, pitted
• 6 hulled Strawberries
• 1 banana (can be frozen)
• 4 ice cubes (you can also use frozen coconut water)
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 tbsp hemp seeds or hemp seed powder
• 1 tbsp coconut butter or full fat coconut milk
• 1/4 lime, peeled
• A thumb tip of peeled, fresh ginger
Throw into a high powered blender, starting off slow and working up to a high speed until all the ingredients are smoothly blended.
You can check out our fantastic range of high powered smoothie blenders here.
(Adapted from: https://gardenmentors.com/garden-help/grow-your-own-food/how-to-harvest-eat-your-broccoli-leaves-recipe/)
And don’t forget, you can also sprout broccoli seeds, their little baby leaves have been found to be even more potent with cancer-fighting phytonutrients and super-nourisment as their adult counterparts.
It’s always good to reconsider what we throw out, Mother Nature always gives us more than we realise, don’t overlook the simple humble things, they often hold the most unexpected treasures.