Banana bread is one of those trusted recipes it is hard to live without once you come to rely on the delicious, last minute use for overripe bananas. But if you’re wanting to make the recipe a boat load healthier, replacing the refined flour with gluten free Health Riot Cassava flour is an absolute win.
3 over ripe bananas
⅓ cup melted butter
¾ cup coconut sugar (regular white sugar if not Paleo)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda (Bicarb)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
10 ml cinnamon
1 ½ cups Health Riot’s Cassava flour
1. Preheat oven to 170 ° C and butter a 4 x 8 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, mash ripe bananas with a fork until very smooth. Stir the melted butter into the mashed bananas.
3. Mix in the baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Stir in the sugar, beaten egg and vanilla extract.
5. Sift and then mix in Health Riot’s Cassava flour.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 50–60 min, or until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and cool completely before taking the banana bread out of the loaf tin.
I just recently converted an apple crumble recipe into a cassave inspired variation so I will most definitely be giving this a whirl on my next banana bake-off. But you can be sure mine is going to be covered in peacan nuts, sunflower seeds and poppy seeds on top.
What’s your favourite banana bread recipe tweak? We’d love to here how you up the health ante in yours in the comments below.
Thanks to Valeska of Health Riot for sharing her recipe with us.