19 Dec An Authentic Moroccan Steam Bath Experience at Home
The Moroccan steam bath, or Hammam, is a long-held pampering tradition that has tourists from all walks of life flocking to Morocco’s seaside towns. And if you don’t have the time or the budget to go jetting off to Marrakesh, you’ll be pleased to know you can experience the pure indulgent skincare luxury of a real Hammam, right in your own bathroom. Our Argan Green range includes a wealth of gorgeous body care goodies inspired by the Moroccan steam bath ritual, and we’ve even created some steam bath pamper packs, which you can use to spoil yourself or a loved one.
The Rich History of Morocco’s Hammam
While Moroccan steam baths are primarily about hygienic cleansing and skin care, they also play a majorly important social and cultural role in Moroccan society. Men and women bathe separately, using traditional Beldi (black soap) to cleanse and rejuvenate their skin, before buffing away dead cells with a Kessa exfoliating mitt. Locals will spend 2 or 3 hours at a time in the bath house, usually in groups with family and friends, relaxing and catching up on the latest gossip. Public Hammams have become a major tourist attraction in Morocco; and many hotels also offer more expensive private steam bath treatments, accompanied by a relaxing massage. With the natural products from our lovely Argan Green selection, you can enjoy a full Moroccan steam bath treatment right in your own home, at a fraction of the cost.
Magical Moroccan Steam Bath Goodies
Black Soap: Cleanses, detoxifies and nourishes the skin , leaving it radiant.
Kessa Glove: Stimulates the circulation and gently scrubs away dead skin cells.
Moroccan Steam Bath Spa Pack: Includes black soap and a Kessa glove.
The Hammam Ritual
- First take a hot, steamy bath or shower, so your skin gets warm and moist.
- Apply the black soap to your face and body, using small circular motions.
- Leave the soap on your skin for 5-10 minutes, while it gently cleanses and unclogs your pores.
- Rinse your skin thoroughly.
- Rinse your Kessa glove with hot water.
- Use the glove to gently exfoliate your body (but don’t use it on your face); this will buff away dead cells and give you a silky-smooth finish.
- Rub your skin with the glove in a vertical motion (not circular) to polish away dead cells. Then rinse your skin thoroughly again. Be sure to rinse out the Kessa glove well, before and after use.
- Finally, massage a pure Moroccan argan oil to your face & body, to hydrate and nourish your skin from head to toe. You’re sure to be left gorgeous and glowing after this indulgent steam bath experience!