02 Aug A Sublime Superfood Hot Chocolate Recipe
Those chilly evenings just wouldn’t be complete without a warm, fluffy blanket, a good book and the occasional steaming mug of hot chocolate. The instant hot chocolate mixes you’ll find in the store are typically loaded with sugar and other nasties – plus all those synthetic flavours are a pale imitation of scrumptious, authentic chocolate. Make your own delicious superfood hot chocolate this winter, for a sweet-and-spicy treat that will warm you right up.
Superfood Hot Chocolate Recipe
• 1 Cup almond milk
• ½ cup filtered water
• 2 Tbsp raw organic cacao powder
• 2 Tsp organic maca powder
• 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
• ¼ Tsp cinnamon powder
• ¼ Tsp cayenne pepper
• ¼ Tsp ginger powder
• Seeds of 1 small vanilla bean
• Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
1. Heat the water & milk together on the stove.
2. Whisk in dry ingredients until smooth.
3. Serve & enjoy immediately, garnished with a cinnamon stick.
THE GOOD STUFF:
The goodies that go into this delicious hot chocolate drink each have their own health benefits.
- Raw cacao: A very rich source of magnesium; high in calcium, zinc, iron, copper and potassium. Cacao is a great mood-booster and also has potent antioxidant properties.
- Ginger: Improves digestion and circulation; combats colds and flu.
- Cinnamon: A warming spice that also improves digestion and circulation.
- Cayenne: Combats inflammation, reduces cholesterol, clears congestion and boosts the immune system.
- Maca: An adaptogen that helps your body to cope with stress; improves hormonal balance and mood balance. Maca provides 31 nourishing minerals and trace elements.
We hope a tasty drink like this nourishes you right down to your toes for the remaining icy nights of winter.