21 May Three Heavenly Healthy Honey Recipes
Glorious golden honey is such a sweet treat; stirred into a cup of herbal tea, spread over a slice of fresh warm bread, or just savoured straight off the spoon. Here are a few great ways to use honey in delicious day-to-day recipes. Your loved ones will think these goodies are the bee’s knees indeed!
Healthy honey recipes to buzz about:
Almond Honey Glazed Popcorn
This honey popcorn recipe makes the perfect movie night snack for you and your family – with no artificial flavours or additives.
- 1 cup grass-fed butter
- ¾ cup honey
- ¾ cup organic brown sugar
- ½tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 12-16 cups popped organic popcorn
- Lightly toast the slivered almonds in a pan, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the honey, brown sugar & salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat & continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat; add the baking soda & vanilla extract, stirring briskly.
- Place the popcorn in a large bowl & pour the mixture over it, mixing to coat completely. Add the almonds & mix thoroughly.
- Pour the coated popcorn onto 2 greased baking sheets & bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool, then break into pieces before serving. Keep refrigerated.
Chilled Honey Latte
A delicious dairy-free pick-me up; makes 2 sweet servings. (Substitute organic decaf coffee to enjoy all the flavour without the buzz.)
- Whisk together the coffee, almond milk & honey until thoroughly combined. The honey should be dissolved.
- Refrigerate for approx. 30 min.
- Just before serving, blend the mixture with the ice cubes in a blender until frothy & smooth.
Vanilla Honey Cough Drops
Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory honey soothes a sore throat, while clove adds natural pain-killing properties to the mix. These sweet natural lozenges are perfect for coughs and colds.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add the honey & stir frequently to avoid burning. Slowly increase to medium heat.
- Add in the clove powder & vanilla extract; continue to stir.
- After approx. 15-20 minutes, remove the mixture from the heat. Immediately pour the mixture into silicone candy moulds or an ice cube tray.
- Leave the mixture to cool & harden at room temperature.
- Wrap the cough drops individually in small squares of wax paper & store at room temperature.
Sustainable Honey is The Sweetest Choice
Of course when it comes to choosing the honey you eat, it’s important to remember where it comes from. Our planet’s precious bees work so hard to make this sweet stuff, and it’s our responsibility to make sure they are not exploited for our sake. At Faithful to Nature, we believe in sourcing our honeys from beekeepers who treat their bees with care and respect. That means the honey is made in a healthy natural environment, without disrupting the bees’ natural life cycle.
Our New Raw Honey Selection
Check out our new range of raw, unprocessed badger-friendly honeys; the Badgers Gold range brought to you by the ethical beekeepers at Rautenbach Bye Boerdery. There are three delicious flavours to choose from – Mountain Fynbos, Creamed Canola or Coastal Shrubs. All ideal for your favourite healthy honey recipes.