12 Mar Beauty Ingredient Spotlight: Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal – the deep, rich black ingredient found in some of our natural scrubs and sponges – is a skincare ingredient that’s been getting a lot of attention lately. What is this stuff, and why all the beauty buzz?
Activated charcoal (also called activated carbon) is a fine black powder, made from wood such as bamboo, which has been exposed to very high temperatures in an airless environment. The heating, or activation, is the process that enhances the charcoal’s ability to absorb various substances. In Japan, small bags of takesumi (bamboo charcoal) are used to purify and alkalise drinking water; improve indoor air quality; absorb odours around the home; and even to keep fruit and veggies fresh and crisp for longer.
All very interesting, but what does it have to do with natural beauty? This is what activated charcoal can do for your skin:
KEY BEAUTY BENEFITS OF ACTIVATED CHARCOAL
- Antibacterial & antifungal
- Cleanses & purifies the skin
- Absorbs toxins, oils & impurities
- Prevents acne breakouts & blemishes
- Clears & prevents blackheads
- Alkalises the skin’s pH
- Refines the appearance of pores
HOW IT WORKS
Activated charcoal molecules are extremely porous; the charcoal acts like a magnet that attracts and absorbs toxins. When dirt, oil and impurities in your pores come into contact with the carbon, they stick to it, drawing them out of your skin, and then get washed away when you rinse the treatment off your skin. The charcoal gives your pores a gentle but thorough deep-cleaning, by soaking up all the nasty stuff trapped there. The result is a smoother, clearer skin with more refined pores and fewer blemishes.
FASCINATING FACTS ABOUT ACTIVATED CHARCOAL
- Before use, activated bamboo charcoal has an extremely large surface area – just one ounce can have a surface area of thousands of square feet!
- When it comes into contact with water and skin, the remarkable surface area and capacity for absorption are what give the charcoal its purifying properties.
- Because of its ability to absorb toxic substances, activated charcoal is also often used to treat cases of poisoning.
- Activated charcoal is able to absorb over 500 times its weight in impurities!
NATURAL CHARCOAL BEAUTY PRODUCTS ONLINE
- Angelfactory Black Active Detox Soap
- Konjacu Bamboo Charcoal Facial Sponge
- The Oaklands Whey Activated Charcoal
- Suki Suki Naturals Activated Charcoal Shampoo Bar
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
Our faithful fans are just raving about the beauty benefits of organic charcoal.
“Of all natural products, this must be the most incredible spongy thingy that I came across. I am totally amazed how my skin feels after just one use – soft as a babys bum! I didn even use any soap with it and my skin looks and feels clean and smooth, it is just wow! Its almost hard to believe…but the proof is in the pudding.” – Lelanie
“Another awesome addition in my battle against blackheads. My skin feels incredibly soft and has already started expelling blackheads. Before going green I resigned myself to the fact that Ill go to my grave with clogged pores, but since Ive been using natural products my skin is cleaner, brighter and more refined. I love the tingle whilst gently scrubbing my face with my charcoal sponge, and after only a week the difference is already visible. Will buy again, for sure!” – Adele
“I particularly love the face sponge, you guys did not lie when you said it was amazing!” – Tamsin
“Love this soap and the licorice smell! Bought it as a treat for myself as it is a bit pricey but very nice soap.” – Glenys