When one of our Faithful fans mentioned she had used our agar powder to make nut-free vegan-friendly cheese, we were intrigued! Most vegan cheese is made using nuts like macadamias or cashews; or alternatively made with soy. For those with nut and soy allergies who want to stick to a vegan diet, this can pose a problem. So we’re really excited to have tracked down this 100% nut-free, soy-free AND vegan-friendly cheese recipe – it’s surprisingly easy to make too. Try it out and enjoy your delish vegan cheese sliced or shredded.
- 2 cups sunflower seeds, soaked
- 1½ cup filtered water
- 2½Tbsp lemon juice
- 3Tbsp mustard
- 1Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3tsp agave nectar
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2tsp salt
- 1tsp onion flakes or granules
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp ground cumin
- ½tsp turmeric
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1½Tbsp agar powder
To make your cheese base:
- Drain & rinse the sunflower seeds. Place in a high-powered blender.
- Add the 1½ cup water, lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, agave, nutritional yeast, salt, onion granules & spices. Blend until thick & creamy, scraping down the sides of the blender as you go.
To make agar gel for binding:
- Make the agar gel once the cheese base is blended.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a light boil in a small saucepan. Add the agar.
- Stir or whisk continuously until the agar had dissolved. This can take several minutes.
Put it all together:
- Start the blender again & drizzle the agar gel slowly into the cheese mixture. Blend until combined.
- Pour into a pan or mould; place in the fridge, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy sliced or shredded.
- This cheese will keep in the fridge up to 5 days.