This is a feet-in-the-pool-kinda-salad, perfect for a summer’s day or to add to your weekend braai table. Not only is it packed with absolutely delicious and nutritious ingredients, but it’s the perfect recipe if you’re into food cycling for your hormones. The mermaid bowl ticks all the boxes for menstrual phase with:
- Kale to help replenish iron levels
- Blueberries that are loaded with antioxidants to assist in flushing out excess estrogen
- Pumpkin seeds to replenish your zinc levels and support progesterone
- 2 kale leaves, de-stemmed dressed with juice of ½ lime (you can sub for a lemon or 1 tsp apple cider vinegar)
- ¼ cup cabbage
- ¼ cucumber, chopped
- ¼ yellow bell pepper
- 7 – 8 romaine lettuce leaves
- 7 – 8 sugar snap peas, halved
- 1 small hand full carrot and beetroot, julienned
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp beetroot hummus
- 1 Tbsp tahini (sesame butter)
- ½ lemon’s juice (approximately 3 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp honey (can substitute with agave)
- Black pepper & salt
- Break up the de-stemmed kale and massage after adding lime/lemon/apple cider vinegar.
- Add the romaine lettuce leaves by layering them down
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Add your ingredients in one at a time so that you can arrange them to have the final desired look. We love placing each ingredient next to each other in a circular motion and topping with a slice of lime in the middle (as per the picture).
- Mix the Tahini ingredients together and drizzle over your salad.