04 Sep Marvellous Maca: Go “Beyond Smoothies” with this Superfood
It’s no wonder organic maca root powder is one of our top-selling goodies. This superfood is a powerful adaptogen – meaning it helps your body cope with stress, both physical and emotional. This magical Peruvian plant is rich in B vitamins, amino acids, protein, calcium and other essential minerals; it nourishes the adrenal glands, helping to keep you feeling energetic and focused throughout the day. Maca also has a “romantic” side; it’s known for its ability to improve fertility and boost the libido.
The most popular way to get a daily dose of tasty maca is to add it to your morning smoothie, or sprinkle it into your cereal. Quick and easy, but definitely not the most exciting way to enjoy the magic of maca! So our green team has mined the treasure trove of maca recipes out there, to bring you three fun, delicious and surprising ways to use your favourite superfood.
1. Raw Maca Truffles
These delicious bite-sized treats taste so good, it might be hard to believe how healthy they are! Made from adaptogenic maca and mood-boosting cacao, with a pinch of warming cinnamon and a little thermogenic cayenne kick – they’re great for lifting energy, boosting the metabolism and balancing blood sugar. Yum!
- ½ cup raw maca powder
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 cup almond butter or coconut butter
- 1-2Tbsp raw honey
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 2ml vanilla extract
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Blend the nut butter, honey & vanilla in a food processor.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together separately, then add to the food processor & blend with the nut butter mix. Add a little water if needed.
- Roll the dough into balls & dust with cocoa powder. Chill in the fridge before serving.
- Makes about 20 delicious raw truffles.
2. Maca Hot Chocolate
A truly romantic fireside treat for two; the malty maca flavour really complements the bittersweet cacao. Sip this steamy maca chocolate drink with your sweetheart!
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1Tbsp maca powder
- 2-3Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1Tbsp honey
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 2Tbsp agar
- Heat the milk on the stovetop in a small saucepan.
- Whisk in cacao powder, honey & vanilla.
- Whisk in the maca & agar.
- Pour into mugs & top with a sprinkling of cinnamon.
- Sip & enjoy! Makes 2 cups.
3. Maca Facial Mask
Maca also has great beautifying properties; this easy-to-make mask is like a shot of superfood for your skin, leaving you with a naturally glowing complexion.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the liquid & stir well until light & creamy.
- Spread a thin layer over clean face & neck.
- Leave to dry for 15-20 minutes; remove with a warm washcloth, rinse & pat dry.
How do you get your daily dose of this much-loved superfood? Share your top maca recipes with us!