06 Jul Jackfruit and Guacamole Tacos
This Jackfruit and Guacamole Tacos recipe was made by Amy van der Merwe of AnEarthenLife.com.
My mister and I were between things last year and we decided to go on a working holiday around Asia for a few months. We worked in Indonesia, the Philippines and Malaysia where I was mainly in the kitchen and discovered so many new and wonderful ways of cooking vegetables. My all time best discovery was jackfruit. Jackfruit is a giant, bumpy and super sticky green fruit that grows in tropical climates. When cooked with spices has the texture of pulled pork or chicken – yay!!
So here’s my super simple recipe for jackfruit tacos, which Faithful to Nature is now stocking!!!
- Handful of Button mushrooms sliced into 4’s
- 1 tin jackfruit – shred and cut into smaller chunks
- 2 tablespoons chipotle sauce
- 2 avocados mashed
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 lime
- 2 large tortillas cut into 6 round taco shells
For serving: Pink pickled onions, fresh coriander and pickled jalapenos
- In a pan drizzle in some oil and fry off your mushroom slices with some salt until they are browned on either side. Take them out and set aside, then add in your jackfruit – add some extra oil if need be. Fry on high and add in 2 tablespoons of chipotle sauce, use 2 forks to shred the jackfruit more and fry so that some is crispy!
- In a bowl mash 2 soft avocados with a squeeze of lime and a pinch of salt. Shred the cabbage and lettuce. Cut out and warm your tacos on a dry pan.
- On each taco spread some guacamole, add the shredded lettuce and cabbage then the mushrooms and jackfruit and on top add the jalapenos, pickled onion and coriander with a squeeze of lime. Simple and delicious!!