Your baby’s first birthday is a big milestone! You want to make the celebration a special one where your tot feels spoiled – but you don’t want to feed him or her those unhealthy sugar-loaded treats smothered in a toxic rainbow artificial colours. Luckily, there are plenty of healthier alternatives out there for nutrition-savvy moms and dads. This wholesome baby birthday cake recipe is made with mashed bananas and sugar-free applesauce, so it’s sweet and creamy, but free of nasties and full of vitamins. Perfect for your little one’s big day. It also makes a marvellous “smash cake”, for those who don’t mind a little extra mess!
Banana Applesauce Baby Birthday Cake
The flour used to make this cake is slow-milled, which helps to retain more of the essential nutrients and fibre; it’s also free of chemical bleaching agents. Banana and applesauce give the cake a sweet taste and creamy texture, and both are packed with valuable vitamins and minerals. Oat flour is wheat-free, low in gluten, and high in fibre and magnesium. Plus this birthday cake is really easy to make.
- 4-5 ripe organic bananas
- ½ cup homemade unsweetened applesauce
- 3Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp baking soda
- ¾ cups unbleached stoneground cake flour
- ¾ cup oat flour
- 1tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- Mash the bananas together in a bowl.
- Mix the flours, baking soda & cinnamon together in a separate bowl.
- Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, coconut oil & vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
- Coat a cake pan (or muffin/ tart tin) with a little coconut oil.
- Spread the batter into the pan or tins.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool the cakes before frosting. If you used the 8″ or 9″ pan, then use an overturned smaller bowl to cut out small cake rounds.
No-Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting (Optional)
- 1 cup cream cheese
- ½ cup freshly juiced organic apple juice
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- A handful of organic berries
- Soften the cream cheese.
- Whisk in the apple juice & vanilla until creamy. Spread over your cakes or cupcakes.
- Use the berries to create baby’s age on top of the iced cake. For smaller cupcakes, simply top each one with the same number of berries as baby’s age.