14 Mar Creamy Vegan Parmesan & Pine Nut Kale
“We all love creamed spinach, it pairs with pretty much anything and it brings you that sense of comfort and satiety. What I don’t like about this dish, however, are the hidden calories, the gluten and the amount of dairy. Instead of using butter, I fried the kale in coconut oil and served it with a generous amount of vegan Parmesan cheese. So yes, you guessed it, this dish is fully vegan and still gives you that cheesy, creamy, comfort foody feel!”
CREAMY VEGAN PARMESAN & PINE NUT KALE
- 1 large bunch Cavolo Nero kale (around 100g uncooked)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Crystal Salt
- 1 tsp avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp vegan Parmesan cheese (alternatively if you’d like a little garlicy flavour you can opt for the garlic & chilli varietal)
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted*
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Rinse the kale (reserve rinse water for your plants at home) and roughly chop.
- Place into a saucepan with 60ml water and salt. Pop on the saucepan’s lid.
- Steam on a medium heat for 8 minutes, or until kale has just cooked and still has a vibrant green colour.
- Remove from the heat, drain any excess liquid and add avocado/olive oil, lemon juice, 1 Tbsp of the vegan parmesan and chilli flakes. Stir in to coat the kale.
- Serve immediately with the rest of the vegan parmesan, toasted pine nuts and lemon wedges.
Shop more vegan options on our site: Faithful-to-Nature.co.za