We’ve got some great recipes to help keep your spring cleaning safe, natural and cost effective this season. Last month
we looked at natural ways to get rid of pests. This month we’ve got recipes for natural all purpose cleaners, carpet stain removers and even shoe deodorisers!
Carpets & Upholstery
- A great non-toxic carpet stain remover is soda water. Soak spot immediately with soda and blot until the stain is gone.
- For pet stains dab the area with towelling to absorb as much urine as possible. Then wash the spot with anorganic liquid dish detergent, and
rinse with 1/2 cup vinegar diluted in 1 qt warm water. Then lay down towels over the spot to absorb excess moisture. Let it stand for 4 to 6 hours, then remove the towel, brush up and allow to dry completely.
- Red wine stains can be removed from your carpet by rubbing baking soda into the stain and then vacuuming afterwards.
- To remove grease spots from carpets, first sop up the liquid with a sponge, then rub a liberal amount of baking soda into the spot. Let it absorb overnight. On the next day, remove the excess and vacuum the area.
To make a great carpet freshener, you need:
Then, measure 4 cups of baking soda into a bowl and add your essential oils. Break up any clumps that form, and stir until well mixed. Before vacuuming sprinkle the powder from a shaker type can or jar. Let it sit on the carpet for about 15 minutes and then vacuum.
To make a natural shoe deodorizer you need:
Then mix all the ingredients and rub 1-2 tablespoons in each shoe. Allow the powder to sit in your shoe overnight.
All Purpose Cleaners
- Mix vinegar and salt together for a good surface cleaner
- For a general, all-purpose cleaner, try a paste made from baking soda and water or mix salt and water with a little vinegar.
- Alternatively, to make a natural all purpose cleaner spray, use 3 tbsp. vinegar, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. of a
natural vegetable oil
based liquid soap and 2 cups of hot water. Mix all of the ingredients in a spray bottle or a bucket. Apply and wipe clean.