29 Apr Cauliflower Mac ‘N Cheese
Prep + cook time: 45 minutes
- 750g cauliflower, trimmed, cut into large florets
- 1 1/2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 300g caserecci or other short tubular pasta
- 100g butter, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 3/4 cups (810ml) oat milk
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup (60g) coarsely grated cheddar
- 3/4 cup (60g) nutritional yeast (parmesan replacement)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/475°F. Grease four 2-cup (500ml) ovenproof dishes.
- Place cauliflower on a large oven tray, drizzle with oil and season; toss well to combine. Roast for 15 minutes or until almost tender and browned. Reduce oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 6 minutes (or 2 minutes less than directed on the packet); drain. Return pasta to pan.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then add flour; cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles and thickens. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth; cook, whisking, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat; stir in mustard, cheddar and two-thirds of the parmesan until cheeses melt. Add cheese sauce to pasta in pan and toss to combine.
- Spoon pasta mixture into ovenproof dishes; press cauliflower pieces into pasta. Top with combined breadcrumbs and the remaining parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crumbs are golden and mixture is heated through serving suggestion For extra crunch, add 1 tablespoon each sunflower seeds and pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels) to the breadcrumb mixture.
Tip Cooking the pasta in boiling water for 2 minutes less than recommended on the packet directions means that it will be cooked to perfection once it has baked in the oven for 20 minutes.