11 Jan Bread Free Sandwich Ideas
More and more nutritionists, dieticians and the like around the world are increasingly encouraging us all to avoid white bread, as it is low in nutritional value and high in sugar, and recently some are advising to avoid wheat and gluten entirely.
Many respected health professionals now claim that bread and other sources of gluten grains are unnecessary at best and potentially harmful. Gluten causes an immune response in the digestive tract of susceptible individuals. This can cause digestive issues, pain, bloating, tiredness and other symptoms. Bread is also high in carbs and can spike blood sugar levels, which is bad news for diabetics and those with Celiac Disease which is caused by extreme gluten intolerance.
There are many alternatives out there to bread that do not require you to be a professional baker, and all it takes is a little out-of-the-box thinking to realise you can make a sandwhich out of just about anything – have a look at our favourites.
Burger Buns and Subs
Grilled portabello mushrooms provide savoury bread-free substitute for sandwiches. Slice a tomato and stuff with your fillings of choice! The trick is removing the seeds to prevent the juice running out when you bite it. Hollowed out cucumbers make another one-ingredient shell for sandwich fillings.
Slice, Dice and Wrap
Swap the empty calories of bread for thick, juicy nutrient rich sweet potato rounds – cut them thick for a burger effect or use thin slices to create a delectable stacked snack. The lettuce that once served as garnish can envelope and securely hold other toppings for a light summer wrap. Even breakfast is sorted when apple and granola bread-free sandwiches meet almond butter.
Chia Bread? We can make an exception…
Super Power Chia Bread
Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free, soy-free.
Thick, hearty, and dense – this isn’t your average slice of bread! Packed with 9 grams of protein and over 7 grams of fibre per slice, this bread will keep you going for hours.
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds*
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats, ground into a flour
- 1/4 cup raw buckwheat groats, ground into a flour (or more oat flour)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or alternative
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp fine grain himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 165 C and line a 9-inch square pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each way.
2. Add rolled oats and buckwheat into a high-speed blender. Blend on highest speed until a fine flour forms.
3. Add all dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir well until combined. Stir in the water until combined. The mixture will be very watery and runny at first, but it will thicken up fairly quick. Scoop it into the pan and spread it out with a spatula as evenly as possible. You can use lightly wet hands to smooth it down if necessary. Sprinkle the bread with herbs or fine grain sea salt before going into the oven.
4. Bake at 165 C for about 25 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then lift it out and transfer it to a cooling rack for another 5-10 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
5. This bread-free sandwich “bread” keeps for 2-3 days max – any longer and it gets gummy in texture. You can even freeze it for enduring freshness.
Notes: You can play around with the seeds (or even add nuts!) and reduce them if desired, and you can play around with different flours too.
Innovative “Bread” Ideas
Sweet potato noodle cakes (pictured left) might just be the new bread. Throw in hummus, heirloom tomatoes, and a savoury blend of spices for the perfect lunch.
The No Carb Spinach Bread is an inspired bread replacement that suits Paleo lifestyles – it only takes 25 minutes to make, and its gluten free.
LCHF sandwich made with cauliflower bread, the Banters go-to alternative for almost everything, makes for a great bread free sandwich.
Deliciously decadent, you wont believe you are eating a carbohydrate filled root with the sumptuous Cheesy Sweet Potato Stacks that put grilled cheese to shame.
For more bread-free inspirations have a look at our pinterest page.