20 Oct DIY: Natural Body Toning Cream Recipe
Whether it’s the heart of winter or you’re getting beach ready, treat your skin to something special – an all-natural toning and hydrating lotion that will smooth away unwanted wrinkles and dimples, leaving you with a smoother, softer and more supple skin you can’t wait to show off. This body lotion is easy to make at home, and of course its free of harsh chemical additives, artificial colours and fake flowery fragrances. With shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax, this is just what every organic goddesses’ skin craves!
Note that this recipe will give you a rich moisturising and toning lotion with a thick creamy texture. It will probably feel too “heavy” for daytime use, but it’s perfect for the evenings when you’ve just stepped out of a bath or shower. Massage it into your skin before bed, so you can soak up all that goodness while you sleep!
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup beeswax
- 1Tbsp vitamin E oil (or sweet almond oil)
- 2Tbsp shea butter
- 10-15 drops of a stimulating essential oil (eg. peppermint or cinnamon)
- Place all your ingredients together in a large glass jar.
- Fill a saucepan with a 1-2 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Place a lid on the jar, and place it into the boiling water. This creates a “double-boiler”, where the heat of the water melts and mixes the ingredients without getting them wet.
- Remove the jar from the water; be sure to use tongs or oven mitts! Stir the mixture to make sure the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Once the mixture is even and smooth, leave the jar to cool.
- Use this homemade lotion as a daily toning and anti-ageing treatment to pamper your skin.
Pour the mixture into several smaller glass jars, wrap them in a stylish raffia ribbon, or give it a lick of chalkboard paint for personalisation and give to your friends for their very own homemade body lotion.