08 Oct Berry Crumble Kick Back & Relax Pie
What better way to relax and destress than by enjoying a beautiful berry crumble and a cup of tea, but what makes this pie even more relaxing? The ashwagandha-infused berry filling, of course.
- 2 cups cake flour
- ½ cup coconut oil – solid
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBS coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- 6 TBS ice water
- 3 cups blueberries
- 2 cup raspberries
- 1 cup strawberries
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 TBS ashwagandha powder
- 1 TBS chia seeds
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 2/3 cup coconut oil – solid
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place all the berries and zest in a large pan and cook down on a medium heat until only a bit of water remains. Take off the heat and stir in the chia seeds.
- In the meantime make the pie base. Mix the flour, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Cut the coconut oil up into small blocks and rub together with your hands, then add the ice water and knead until it forms a smooth dough.
- On a flat clean surface dusted with flour roll out the dough and place in a large oiled baking tray. Use a fork and stab a few holes in the base to allow some of the air out and bake for 10 minutes.
- Place the berry filling on top and spread out into an even layer.
- For the crumble top place all the ingredients in a large bowl and rub and mix together with your hands until it forms a crumb.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 45 minutes or until golden brown on the top.
- I served mine with coconut whipping cream
- Ps. Coconut sugar doesn’t caramelise as refined sugar does so the top really is crumbly. I don’t mind this but if you prefer a more solid crumble-top I would suggest using regular sugar.