10 May Eggplant Aubergine & Poached Eggs
Prep + cook time: 40 minutes
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 3 small white onions (240g), unpeeled, each cut into 6 wedges
- 2 medium red peppers (400g), cut into wedges
- 1 large aubergine (500g), cut into 8 wedges
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly
- 10g piece fresh ginger, unpeeled, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 15 fresh curry leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, extra
- 4 eggs
- coriander sprigs and naan bread, to serve
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat; cook onion, turning once, for 6 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a tray; sprinkle with salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in the same dish; cook capsicum, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a tray with onion.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of remaining oil in the same dish; cook eggplant, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a tray with onion and capsicum.
- Heat remaining oil in dish; cook chilli, ginger, garlic, spices and curry leaves, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Return all vegetables to the dish, then add the water, vinegar and sugar; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook for 12 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season.
- Meanwhile, half-fill a large frying pan with water; add the extra vinegar and bring to the boil. Break one egg into a cup, then slide into pan; repeat with remaining eggs. When all eggs are in the pan, return water to the boil. Cover pan and turn off heat; stand for 4 minutes or until a light film of egg white sets over the yolks. Remove eggs, one at a time, using a slotted spoon; place spoon on a paper-towel-lined saucer briefly to blot up any poaching liquid.
- Serve vegetables topped with poached eggs; season. Top with coriander and serve with naan.