20 Feb Flour Power! Two Delicious & Simple Gluten-Free Recipes
The world really is waking up to all the health benefits of going gluten-free – but just how easy is it to take your favourite traditional recipes, and turn them into gluten-free goodies? Luckily, Faithful to Nature has got your back, with a whole range of natural and organic gluten-free foods. What’s more, we’ve got two easy recipes to help you put a gluten-free spin on two much-loved classics. Read on and we’re sure you’ll want to get cracking in the kitchen right away!
Creamy Gluten-Free Chicken Soup
OK, so maybe it’s a little early to be thinking about our favourite home-made ‘flu season remedy – but this recipe just sounded too good not to share, and you’ll have plenty of time to practice getting it perfect before the weather starts to turn chilly.
- 3lb free range chicken, cooked & shredded
- 1tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 16oz stewed tomatoes, juices included
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 yellow squashes, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 14oz coconut milk
- A handful of cilantro/ coriander
- 1 avocado
- Season and cook the chicken, then allow the meat to cool.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan, and sauté the onion until it starts to soften. Then add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, then stir in the coconut flour slowly to make a paste (roux). You can increase the amount of butter and flour if you want a thicker soup.
- Add the chicken stock (you can add more if you find the soup too thick).
- Add the chicken, tomatoes, zucchini, squashes, carrots and celery. Season to taste with salt and pepper or your favourite herbs (origanum, rosemary, sage and basil work best).
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for 5-10 minutes before serving. This will make the soup deliciously creamy.
- Garnish with a dash of coriander and sliced avocado!
Buckwheat Blueberry Pancakes
A tasty treat packed with nutrients – enjoy with your loved ones on lazy Saturday mornings!
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 6tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 free range eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk (or 1 cup milk, 1 cup yoghurt to make thicker, fluffier pancakes).
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- Sift all the dry ingredients together. Toss in the blueberries.
- Set aside 2tbsp of the coconut oil, and whisk the rest of the wet ingredients together.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients. Mix only until all the dry ingredients are moist.
- Put 2tbsp coconut oil into your pan and spoon in the batter.
- Cook until bubbles form, then flip your pancake over to finish cooking.
- Serve with your favourite fruity toppings, or real maple syrup. Enjoy!