Most people think of board games as a rainy day activity, but there’s no reason for the family fun to stop during the sunny summer months. Picture yourself cuddled up with your kids around a crackling campfire; as the stars come out and the chirp of crickets starts to fill the air. Or in a sunny park, stretched out underneath the trees on a picnic blanket with the sounds and scents of nature all around you. Or even on your own sun-kissed patio, with a pitcher of organic iced tea and a plate of fresh-baked cookies – and the whole family still in their pyjamas!
These idyllic settings are perfect opportunities to break out your favourite board game or card game, and spend some quality time with your little ones. And if you’re looking for some great new additions to the games cupboard this festive season, we’ve got you covered. Our green online store is jam-packed with new gaming goodies this year; with games and activities to delight kids (and grown-ups) of all ages. Plus each one is made using safe, eco-friendly materials that are safe for your kids and your planet!
Here’s a look at our top 5 favourite family board games for summer:
BrainBox “The World” Quiz Game
For whizz-kids with a passion for general knowledge! This 10-minute card game challenge teaches children all sorts of fun facts about countries and cultures around the world. This is a really nifty little game for travelling or camping; everything stores neatly in a funky little magnetic cube-shaped box, and there are no pens, pencils or papers required – just the cards, your memory and your wits!
- Type: Quiz card game
- Ages: 8 years +
- Players: 1-10
- What makes it fun: Tests your child’s knowledge and memory, while teaching him or her all sorts of fascinating facts in an easy-to-learn way. Great for road-trips and camping holidays.
- What makes it green: Made from at least 70% recycled materials.
Wonderworld Wonder Tossing Game
A fun treat for active tots. Take turns to toss the soft colourful balls over the “branches” of this cute and funky wooden cactus, and compete for the highest score. The Wonder Tossing Game can be played outdoors or indoors; a great summer party game and a fun way for young children to develop their hand-eye coordination. Browse the rest of our wonderful Wonderworld range.
- Type: Active coordination challenge
- Ages: 3 years +
- Players: As many as you like!
- What makes it fun: An active game that keeps busy toddlers on their feet, and gives them a fun challenge to take on. Can be enjoyed indoors or outdoors.
- What makes it green: Made with eco-friendly rubber wood; painted with non-toxic dyes and made with formaldehyde-free glue. Packaged in 70% recycled paper.
Peaceable Kingdom “The Great Cheese Chase” Board Game
Work together to get the three little mice safely up to the attic, while Tiger the cat chases at their heels! This award-winning game is all about teamwork. Browse our awesome Peaceable Kingdom games selection.
- Type: Cooperative board game
- Ages: 5 years +
- Players: 2-6
- What makes it fun: Encourages players to work together; a great choice for families who prefer non-competitive gaming.
- What makes it green: Made with sustainably sourced paper board and biodegradable corn-based plastics.
Green Start “Silly Circus” Giant Floor Puzzle
A super-sized puzzle that’s perfect for building on the playroom floor. Kids will have a ball putting together the 60-piece giant puzzle, to reveal the crazy and colourful circus scene. The puzzle packs up neatly into a handy carry-along case, so you can easily take it on holiday with you – and take over any room with your giant puzzle-building skills! See the rest of our Green Start goodies here.
- Type: Giant-sized floor puzzle (60 pieces, total size 2 x 3ft)
- Ages: 5 years +
- Players: As many as you like!
- What makes it fun: A challenging and novel puzzle-building experience, with oversized pieces and a beautifully illustrated circus-themed picture.
- What makes it green: The Green Start puzzles are made using recycled materials, and printed with non-toxic, eco-friendly inks.
Orchard Toys “Crazy Chefs” Board Game
Join the chefs in their crazy kitchen and put your memory skills to the test, as you try to match all the ingredient and utensil cards you need to “cook” the meal of your choice. This board game from the Orchard range is both entertaining and educational, with cute and colourful illustrations to capture young imaginations. Check out our Orchard Toys collection here.
- Type: Matching & memory board game
- Ages: 3-7 years
- Players: 2-5
- What makes it fun: A race to the finish! To win, you must be the first player to gather all the ingredients and utensils on your board, pick up a plate and “cook” your dish.
- What makes it green: All the board used to make Orchard Toys products and packaging is 100% recycled.
However you choose to spend this festive season, make it a truly memorable one for your family as you share laughter and love with one of these beautifully crafted games.