12 Dec No-Cook Recipes Your Load Shedding
South Africans across the country are feeling the effects of load shedding this festive season. That evening rush to boil the kettle, fire up the oven and buzz the blender can be just a little frantic, to say the least! Luckily, Faithful to Nature is here to the rescue with a delicious, healthy selection of no-cook recipes you can make for your family during load shedding; no electricity required.
HEMP SEED BEAN SALAD
Serves 2 – 4
- ½ cup shelled organic hemp seeds
- 1 can organic beans (butter beans, red beans etc)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2Tbsp lemon juice
- 2Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1tsp ground cumin
- ½tsp chilli powder
- ½tsp garlic powder
- ¼tsp paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In mixing bowl, whisk the oil, lemon, parsley & spices.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Add the beans & the hemp seeds. Toss well.
- 2 medium zucchini
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 3Tbsp olive oil
- 2tsp minced fresh thyme
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, for shaving
- 1 baguette (or gluten-free loaf), sliced, for serving
- Shave the zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices (use a sharp vegetable peeler). Arrange the slices on a platter.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, salt & pepper.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the zucchini slices. Allow to sit for at least 15-60 minutes.
- Use vegetable peeler to shave thin slices of Parmesan over the zucchini; serve with fresh baguette slices. Enjoy!
Psstt… Check out our solar gadgets and goodies for green-minded load shedding solutions, and keep shining.